Notices

EOH conversion questions

Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EOH conversion questions

OK guys with EOH, I need to be educated. 1997 Eagle tri-axle with surge drum brakes. I've gotten by with them due to minimal towing and use on easy local ramp. Now I will experience long steep ramps and more frequent towing and I HATE SURGE BRAKES! I AM going to convert to EOH. Currently considering BrakeRight I or II kits or Carlisle HydraStar HBA-10. But my main question is on controllers: how do they work backing DOWN a ramp? Seems most are inertia-sensing units, and so would not "detect" deceleration as you back down the ramp!!?? Am I missing something- like an override? I know there are units that respond to fluid PRESSURE and so would work at any angle...just don't want to spend $400 unless necessary (but I will if needed!)
Thanks for your help!

Dan
Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Check my recent thread...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...tml?highlight=

I used a Prodigy P3.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...Fa1cMgod-RMAZw
Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I used the Titan SD II Disc Brake Kit, and the Prodigy 3. I have brakes backing down the ramp
Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered

What was the estimated cost for changing over a triple axle to EOH from surge?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bmtbandit
I build trailers and install EOH systems everyday. I can get you a unit for about $550 plus shipping. That's for a disc brake unit. Drum brake unit is less. If your existing plumbing is sound the unit is all you'll need.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I had to purchase several other things to do the install myself. Brackets, fasteners, brake fluid, wire, etc, etc. Some of the stuff I already had on hand, but had to fab up some brackets. I'm hoping to finish up tonight, if the rain holds out.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bmtbandit
I am going to install myself, so no estimates...but...it looks like for me (your needs may vary): ...actuator ($550-700), in-cab controller ($125-350), breakaway battery setup ($75-100), plus any installation hardware-wiring, brackets,welding, etc. So it looks to be at or just under $1K doing it yourself...add $$$ to have it done in shop. payuppsucker seems to have the goods and helpful info!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
I build trailers and install EOH systems everyday. I can get you a unit for about $550 plus shipping. That's for a disc brake unit. Drum brake unit is less. If your existing plumbing is sound the unit is all you'll need.
Nice! Mine will remain a drums system. Are you quoting just an actuator or a kit? What brand unit are you quoting? Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
I used the Titan SD II Disc Brake Kit, and the Prodigy 3. I have brakes backing down the ramp
Thanks for the info- was looking at this kit. Can you tell me about this kit... did they just separate the control module and add an adapter cable? I was trying to compare this to just installing the Titan actuator by itself ???
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
I've read every post on this subject on OSO,,,so much great information! I trust what I've read, just can't figure out how a proportional controller can sense any DECELERATION on a vehicle that is backing down a ramp !!?? Maybe the sensing device works in both directions as long as the brakes are applied. I've asked the question at Tekonsha...will share the answer for any other anal idiots that might want to know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.