Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk? >

Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk?

Notices

Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Not very many go to court. There isnt "proving" anything. If you are a business and you T bone, rear end, sideswipe anybody. You are AT fault. You better hope they are relatively honest or their attorney will eat you alive.

...and that is if they have minor injuries! If they are actually hurt! You are fukked! They will devour your auto insurance then go right to company liability.

You will get the "Does your company have any other insurance" waiver.

We've had 3 company accidents in the last 4 years.
1. Lady in her 50's in a new Matrix my guy rear ended her and pushed the bumper thru the back window into another car.
2. My parts runner falsely accelerated at a stop light and nipped/rear ended a black guy and his wife at less than 4-5 MPH (No damage to the front bumper of our S10!)
3. Rear ended an Accord. Minor bumper repair. Lady called me, I paid cash for her choice of repair shops. (at her request luckily)

Who do you think went thru $20K each and sued my liability for neck and back injuries?

Dont even get me started on insurance... It seriously raises my blood pressure 50 points.
Any more, people treat Personal injury like winning the lottery but the odds are much better.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 18 I did the exact same thing as #2. No damage to my Bronco II. They hit me for the limits of my insurance, 100k for the driver, 20k each for passenger and baby. Still pisses me off. Pissed dad off too, he put the truck in my name very quickly after that.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

This happened a few weeks ago local to me, makes you think about trailer maintenance as well.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...sed_multi.html
Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Pretty much any boat trailer would/will need a Pole Tongue Adapter to make a WD hitch work. All of it is available on www.etrailer.com

Do a search on WD hitch and Pole Tongue Adapter here on OSO. I made it work on my last trailer with no problem.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing a quick search I only found a 12,000/1,200 weight distribution hitch.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...bution%20hitch

And found a 14,000 Pole Tongue Adapter.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP58393.html

I guess what I am trying to ask is this, how many "big boats" and trailers are exceeding these limitations?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY

I guess what I am trying to ask is this, how many "big boats" and trailers are exceeding these limitations?
I suppose all of them that are over about 8000 lbs dry, after you load them with fuel/gear on a triple axle trailer and pull them from a frame mounted receiver!

So now the only way to tow safely is to gooseneck anything over 8000 lbs and be sure to use a dually!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
After doing a quick search I only found a 12,000/1,200 weight distribution hitch.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...bution%20hitch

And found a 14,000 Pole Tongue Adapter.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP58393.html

This is exactly my point, I was consider a 43 Black Thunder what do you do in that situation, I mean my 38 ZX weighs 13,400 trailer and all and that light fuel and gear.

Where do you find WD equipment rated at the 18k my hitch is rated for or even the 15k my trucks rated at.

I guess the bigger question is why our big boat manufactures selling boats on trailers without proper towing equipment. I see plenty of campers towed properly and some of them don't even weigh that much. Do the people selling the campers care more about safety the boat salesmen. I would think if your going to sell a 200+ thousand dollar boat you can go ahead and equip the trailer with WD hook ups or even a goose neck trailer.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

They make a 18k hitch, but only a 15k WD

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/17422
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
This is exactly my point, I was consider a 43 Black Thunder what do you do in that situation, I mean my 38 ZX weighs 13,400 trailer and all and that light fuel and gear.

Where do you find WD equipment rated at the 18k my hitch is rated for or even the 15k my trucks rated at.

I guess the bigger question is why our big boat manufactures selling boats on trailers without proper towing equipment. I see plenty of campers towed properly and some of them don't even weigh that much. Do the people selling the campers care more about safety the boat salesmen. I would think if your going to sell a 200+ thousand dollar boat you can go ahead and equip the trailer with WD hook ups or even a goose neck trailer.

SRW pickup is rated at 15K towing how (gooseneck)? What is it rated for traditional towing?

Campers are the whole unit, in the boating business it is 2 different entities. Trailer mfg. and boat mfg......boat guy builds the boats, trailer guy builds trailers and they only become an issue when they are combined and hooked to the truck!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
SRW pickup is rated at 15K towing how (gooseneck)? What is it rated for traditional towing?

Campers are the whole unit, in the boating business it is 2 different entities. Trailer mfg. and boat mfg......boat guy builds the boats, trailer guy builds trailers and they only become an issue when they are combined and hooked to the truck!
Mine might be gooseneck only rated at 15k, thought it was bumper also with WD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.