Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk? >

Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk?

Notices

Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are We Putting Ourselves At Greater Financial Risk?

On one of the truck forums I visit often has a discussion on truck and tow ratings, one of the members posted this article and I thought it'd be a good idea to pass it along. I know there's been a few discussions about what trucks can do what, but are they doing it without putting themselves at a potentially higher financial risk? This article is directed towards the small business owner, but when it comes to liability no one is really immune.

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/tow...and-liability/
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Only got 2 pages in, and like the article already. I'll read the rest of it on the plane later today.

For those who don't know, check out a PLUP;

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...mbrella-policy
http://homelifeandcarinsurance.com/2...up-what-is-it/
http://www.collinsattorneys.com/pers...licy-plup.html
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Great article that goes in to good depth of the ratings of trucks and the legal ramifications.

I work in industrial / commercial plumbing and HVAC/R so we are always hauling material. This topic has always been a thought in the back of my head when we hook up our trailers to haul material.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

This article does make you think about how we are set up to tow. Most of the time we all get down the road without incident but if there is ever a time that our actions cause an accident you can bet there'll be some expert involved if there are other parties involved. And it wouldn't really matter if we are hauling for business or pleasure, I don't think there's any exemptions.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Good article and for anyone doubting the accuracy, crawl under a new dually with a factory hitch and note the weight limits on the sticker!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this, in va and around they have started a crackdown on towing/trailers ratings etc...I also tow a 32' car trailer and now we are having to be very careful, also NC started busting guys for being to long, like towing a good size trailer with a RV, they have been setting up close to big race tracks and getting many !!!! some guys simply will not go to NC to race...so their tactics worked great for them...
Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Good article. Who makes a weight distributing hitch that will work with a boat trailer that has 8" tall tube frame rails?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

An interesting article.
The main contention I have is his reasoning that upgrading the hitch has no bearing on the tow capacity of the vehicle.
Its not secret that until 2011ish all three truck mfg installed crappy, light weight hitches, even on their 1 ton trucks. The frame steel nor mounting changed before to after, they just started using better hitches thus increased the tongue weight rating. GM changed to a 2.5" hitch in 2007.5 and still had a light rating. They were still using crappy materials, just made the hole larger to look tough for marketing.
If a heavier aftermarket hitch is installed, why should the vehicle still be limited to the lower factory hitch rating?

Not to say some needle nosed lawyer still cant win a civil lawsuit in Kalifornia but it does not make sense. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to PROVE the set up was not capable of handling a heavier load than stock.
Yet, there is no second look if the truck is lifted 6" or running fat sidewall tires? Both directly affect load carrying regardless of what the mfg sticker says.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 05-16-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt

Not to say some needle nosed lawyer still cant win a civil lawsuit in Kalifornia but it does not make sense. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to PROVE the set up was not capable of handling a heavier load than stock.
Yet, there is no second look if the truck is lifted 6" or running fat sidewall tires? Both directly affect load carrying regardless of what the mfg sticker says.
Not very many go to court. There isnt "proving" anything. If you are a business and you T bone, rear end, sideswipe anybody. You are AT fault. You better hope they are relatively honest or their attorney will eat you alive.

...and that is if they have minor injuries! If they are actually hurt! You are fukked! They will devour your auto insurance then go right to company liability.

You will get the "Does your company have any other insurance" waiver.

We've had 3 company accidents in the last 4 years.
1. Lady in her 50's in a new Matrix my guy rear ended her and pushed the bumper thru the back window into another car.
2. My parts runner falsely accelerated at a stop light and nipped/rear ended a black guy and his wife at less than 4-5 MPH (No damage to the front bumper of our S10!)
3. Rear ended an Accord. Minor bumper repair. Lady called me, I paid cash for her choice of repair shops. (at her request luckily)

Who do you think went thru $20K each and sued my liability for neck and back injuries?

Dont even get me started on insurance... It seriously raises my blood pressure 50 points.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading that article I would say just about every boat should have weight distribution arms. Sad thing is I haven't seen one trailer set up like that.

How do you do weight distribution with a pintle hook, how would all the construction guys tow that don't use balls.

Why aren't trailer manufactures making trailers already designed for WD. Sounds like any boat over 10k lbs should just be a goose neck trailer, problem solved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.