Notices

Suv hauled from wa to ma

Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suv hauled from wa to ma

looking to have a 2008 hummer h2 shipped from Wa. to Ma the beginning of june, anyone have any recommendations.

beertruck
Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact the car hauling firms would be my suggestion. If the h2 is customized think about Reliable.

Wannabe
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

I wonder if that will even fit on a traditional car carrier or enclosed trailer like Reliable? This may have to be shipped on flat bed or drop deck.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes it will fit on a trailer. An H2 is a 3/4 truck with a square body and wide tires. Likely, if going enclosed they will want to put it in the back spot for ease of loading past the tire humps. There is a number of Car haulers that can take care of you, if an open hauler, contact a local Manheim or Adesa Auto Auction, for a few dollars for them. They can help in brokering the haul, it will take the work out of it for you and likely get you a better price anyway. (they have commercial nation wide rates)

If you want enclosed, Reliable, Passport, Intercity, etc... There is also a number of independents.

Note: If you want enclosed it is going to take longer as well...
Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered

thanks, was hoping to deal directly with the actual shipper, not a broker.
Have gone thru the broker type deal in the past, and ended up getting burned last time. They not only could not hit the delivery date they promised, but also increase the price by several hundred, and there was nothing I could do about it. Broker had been paid in full, and the contract you must sign prior would not allow for american express to contest the charges based on non delivery of promises.

It is a daily driver vehicle, slightly oversizes tires. open carrier is fine
Old 06-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Problem I see is that most direct shippers are local, with in a 3-4 state area in most cases. You are talking about transporting it across the country, so you will need a national carrier. They are mostly tied into the major auctions (Manheim/Adesa) or Manufacturers. Even these companies split it between rail and road.

One national company to try is Fleetcar, I see their trucks all over.

Another option is Vehicle Driveaway, they would fly a person out to the vehicle and they would drive it cross country to you. This is likely the least costly to do. I just googled that and a number of companies came up.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Another option is Vehicle Driveaway, they would fly a person out to the vehicle and they would drive it cross country to you. This is likely the least costly to do. I just googled that and a number of companies came up.
You do realize that is a 3000+ mile trip in a vehicle that will struggle to get 12-14 mpg.....so at 13 mpg, you will burn 230 gallons of fuel, at $3.75 a gallon you are at $862 just in fuel......add some hotels, a plane ticket the other way and some profit and you are looking at $1500 minimum plus you just added 3K miles to your vehicle.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Would it be cheaper to sell it and buy another? Just a thought. It's over 3300 miles. Roughly, figuring 8 mpg, over $1500 in just fuel. Several day trip. Would have to cost 3-4k? Jmho...
Old 06-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

I am guessing the transport will be WAY more than that. My suggestion is that, a suggestion. Routinely we have transporters that pick up cars from us in central MO and are delivered to Chicago Manheim. They get $600-800 for the transport. Now take 3x that mileage?

There are options out there, the question is how to get it done? Not if it is worth the total cost etc...
Old 06-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered

Ah that's right, I was thinking the H1... sorry, thanks for clarifying my confusion.