Notices

Myco wheel hub lubing

Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Myco wheel hub lubing

The prev owner told me once a year he would buy a different color high-temp grease and pump it in until the new color started oozing out. That would let you know you had flushed out all the old grease. Sounded logical. Picked up a pneumatic grease gun and a couple tubes of the Mystic red stuff and let it rip. Went thru a whole tube pretty quick.

The front axle has drum brakes and rear axle has no brakes.
When I insert grease on the 2 front hubs, it fills the cavity where the grease fitting is and then overflows all over the grease gun. What came out was some thin and runny gray slime. Made a hell of a mess. Got a couple of handfuls of the gray matter out of each front hub.

On the rear 2 hubs, the newer color grease came out the back side pretty quick but none fills the cavity where the grease fitting is. Saw only a small amount of gray slime come out the rear.

Do I have bad inner seals on the rear 2 hubs??.
Thought maybe the front hubs (with brakes) have something that holds the rear seals in; where on the rear hubs the seals can get pushed out...
Old 06-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
The prev owner told me once a year he would buy a different color high-temp grease and pump it in until the new color started oozing out. That would let you know you had flushed out all the old grease. Sounded logical. Picked up a pneumatic grease gun and a couple tubes of the Mystic red stuff and let it rip. Went thru a whole tube pretty quick.

The front axle has drum brakes and rear axle has no brakes.
When I insert grease on the 2 front hubs, it fills the cavity where the grease fitting is and then overflows all over the grease gun. What came out was some thin and runny gray slime. Made a hell of a mess. Got a couple of handfuls of the gray matter out of each front hub.

On the rear 2 hubs, the newer color grease came out the back side pretty quick but none fills the cavity where the grease fitting is. Saw only a small amount of gray slime come out the rear.

Do I have bad inner seals on the rear 2 hubs??.
Thought maybe the front hubs (with brakes) have something that holds the rear seals in; where on the rear hubs the seals can get pushed out...
Yes, you have bad seals. Put the Oil Bath seals in there that Timken sells. There was a thread on this just recently. Grease/gunk coming out the back is bad.
While you are pulling everything apart, I advise putting Timken bearings in there as well. They are the best on the market.

Personally, I don't care for my pneumatic/compressor powered grease gun. You can't "feel" anything as in the resistance of inserting new grease. I don't even think mine works all that well. I like the 'two-handed' grease gun with a solid tube from the gun to the zerk coupler.
example: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._137366_137366
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Thx for the quick reply. I'll plan on a hub party.

I used to have one of those solid tube grease guns. It was nice for some applications. The one I have had for last few years is the 2 handed lever action type but has a hose and is a pain in the a$$ to lube wheel bearings with. If your planning on pumping a whole tube of grease, the pneumatic model works well.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Buy a cheap one from Wal*Mart and take the solid end off of it, and put it on the gun you like. The hose ones suck for wheel bearings, but are mandatory for some auto and other marine applications.