Notices

Jack for trailer

Old 09-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phughes69
I am in the same situation. What kind of jack to buy to change a flat on the side of the road? My boat on the trailer is 14000 lbs. I have a triple leaf spring Eagle trailer. The distance under the axle is 8" and under the frame is 20". I'm looking for something that I could possible keep in a storage box on the trailer, like a bottle jack. A floor jack is not out of the question, but a 3 ton steel floor jack is 70 lbs for $130 from Harbor Freight and their 3 ton aluminum floor jack is 51 lbs for $200. Any suggestions?
Yes, wait for a sale at HF, and get the aluminum floor jack, with the lowest low you can. The 8" under the axle goes away when the tire is flat, and you need a low profile jack to fit under it. Ideally, you only jack up the axle on the side needing changing, and not the whole trailer, but if it's the middle tire, good luck.

I bought the alum HF floor jack, because the steel one weighs enough that eventually I'd hurt my back picking it up and loading / unloading it from the truck. First time it was used was by my wife on a girl's trip, and she could. It weighs so little I can carry it in one hand by the handle, and it seems to be a quality tool.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack and it is nice but does not have the power to lift my trailer or my F250. Their small bottle jacks that are low profile have a lot of power and do not take up much space but I have to keep a piece of metal to keep the small diameter ram pad from denting the tube steel on the frame or axles. I would prefer to use the boards to drive on, but as overkill I have an air bag, bottle jack, and custom cut timbers.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When I blew a tire coming back from LOTO last month, I just backed the trailer onto a curb on the good tire and changed the blown tire....no jack, no 2x6s, just a curb......and I didn't have to take the curb with me and take up space when I was done, lol
Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
I have 1 spare. Would like to get another cheap steel wheel or cheap aluminum wheel. The wheels I have now are 16.5" rims.
Good idea. I had a flat, changed it, 10 miles later had another. So I had to drop the trailer and drive 30 miles to Walmart(on a Sunday) for an overpriced tire.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Registered

I have had one of these for about 8 years, it works great on a tandem axle trailer. The way its shaped it feels a little safer than stacking wood blocks, + its light and easy to use

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Ta...N%3DB000I4JPZE
Old 09-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I have a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack and it is nice but does not have the power to lift my trailer or my F250.
Sorry that you got a bad one. If it can't lift the weight it's rated to lift, take it back for another one. I've had good results with mine lifting my PSD, and trailer axles, but can't tell you right now how many lbs it's rated for, as I've loaned it to my BIL to help service his grain truck prior to harvest.

None the less, having multiple jacking options like you've got is a smart thing.