Notices

Jeep/Mopar mechanics??

Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep/Mopar mechanics??

Hey Guys

Looking for some input from Jeep/Mopar mechanic, I have a buddy with a newer Jeep Commander, 4.7L V8 and the drivers side exhaust is leaking between the manifold and the head, apparently its pretty common with these motors, I have talked to 4 different mechanics, 2 of them said they wouldn't even consider doing it, the others quoted well over 2K, Chrysler has released a "repair kit" to fix the problem, but, of course, there is no recall. I have access to a shop with a hoist and I am open to fixing the leak, but, wondered if anyone had any pointers or time saving tips, everyone I talked to said its a total NIGHTMARE to fix
Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do manifolds , broken studs , bolts , manifold cats , on all makes and models of trucks seems weekly , you have to be a contortionist on some to say the least then again Im the guy the dealers and other shops send the work to the techs dont want to touch . Bottom line is patients will be your friend if you do this yourself I have found you spend more time thinking the job then doing it .
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
I do manifolds , broken studs , bolts , manifold cats , on all makes and models of trucks seems weekly , you have to be a contortionist on some to say the least then again Im the guy the dealers and other shops send the work to the techs dont want to touch . Bottom line is patients will be your friend if you do this yourself I have found you spend more time thinking the job then doing it .
aint that the truth,,people are always in a hurry,,and heat is not always your friend! sometimes ill go theough a can of pb on a job just spraying doen the broken ones then they usually come loose after welding a nut to a broken stud..

The problem im seeing is a lot of the newer cars dont have a rubber flap on the inner fender anymore to cover the manafolds from all the road salt and that just distroys them..when i do work on a truck i show them the cause before it happens and make a few bucks making rubber covers like the factory use to and those are the ones that have been trouble free..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plow trucks that you cant eve find the manifolds you have to be an archaeologist and dig for them .
Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I did a Jeep Commander 4.7V8 exhaust manifold set last year and for some unknown reason it ended up being straightforward. Wish every other vehicle was that way.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spray PB Blaster on all the studs you can find and wait about 6 hrs- then start it for 10 minutes.

Exhaust gas leaks are nothing to fool with CO- carbon monoxide has permanent affects.

Wannabe
Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I did a Jeep Commander 4.7V8 exhaust manifold set last year and for some unknown reason it ended up being straightforward. Wish every other vehicle was that way.
This looks like a nightmare, )-: