Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Big Boat shopping -- Toyota sequoia >

Big Boat shopping -- Toyota sequoia

Notices

Big Boat shopping -- Toyota sequoia

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

NS1- If you have a 2500 Suburban than use that to tow- 12000 lbs behind them is acceptable. I HIGHLY recommend Firestone air bags on it- will really smooth out the ride while towing.

Wannabe
Old 09-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 35 Fountain Lightning, nada says the boat weighs 7700 pounds dry, my boat sits on a Myco trailer, and I tow it with a 2012 Tundra with the midsized v8, 4.6 liters I think. Truck gets 11 mpg at 65 mph with the boat tagging along just fine. A little slow up some big hills, but always gets it up and over. Bought in Oklahoma and towed it to its new home in Houston.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula223
I have a 98 35 Fountain Lightning, nada says the boat weighs 7700 pounds dry, my boat sits on a Myco trailer, and I tow it with a 2012 Tundra with the midsized v8, 4.6 liters I think. Truck gets 11 mpg at 65 mph with the boat tagging along just fine. A little slow up some big hills, but always gets it up and over. Bought in Oklahoma and towed it to its new home in Houston.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm shopping used and am looking late 90s early 2000's fountain 35. Looked like mathmatically I'm right near the max, however real world these boats seem to weigh a little more than stated. Then real world -- here's someone who's done it and says it's doable... Hmmm
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

I really think you should consider a safety factor when looking at tow ratings. Electric over hydraulic brakes and aluminum trailers are awesome but just think of the "What ifs". Just say you loose your trailer brakes, you blow a trailer tire, or you blow two trailer tires on the same side at the same time! Things can get bad in a hurry! That is alot of trailer with alot of leverage behind you.

I lost my trailer brakes while towing my buddies 272 Formula home for the season. It was on a sucky trailer but that thing pushed my 2500HD diesel all over the place.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I tow my 2004 38 lightning on a myco trailer with my 2010 Toyota tundra crew max 5.7, class 4 hitch, and air bags. I get beat up about sometimes on here, but let me tell you I am extremely happy with the way it tows...except gas mileage. I also have load range E 10 ply tires.

Tows like a kitten. Having a good trailer with proper balance, and the right hitch to ride level is important. If the set up felt in safe at any time I simply wouldn't do it. Most times I am doing short runs, but I do 5 weekends a year that are well over 100 mile one way.

The SUV is significantly shorter than my Tundra, I am sure that will factor into how it will handle the load. You may also consider a hustler 344 cheetah as your next boat, hustlers tow like two jet skis, very light.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

buy the boat you want and go for it! If you need to add airbags to the tow vehicle. We can all say what if, but if something does happen most tow vehicles are going to be out of control. Proper maintenance and loading are key. If is get weird tap the trailer brakes and mash on the skinny pedal. You may also have to keep the boat full of fuel to have proper loading.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I tow my 33ol with an Expedition. Tows great other than tires sway a lil, but just have to keep tired inflated to max.

Assuming you have a/t tires on the 4x4, they would not flex as much as my expedition. Though only time it does that is when I am getting passed by 80mph traffic as I am only towing at 68!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A short time ago, a friend was towing his 38 Fountain with a late model 3500 Ram Cummins; and entire rig was in top shape. A car pulled out in front of him, and he did everything he could to avoid it. He was only going 45mph.

Both people in the car died, totaled the truck and the trailer; boat fared OK and was fixed by the best.

Let's imagine for a moment he was towing that ~12,000 lbs. load with a vehicle NOT rated for that load.

He'd have every lawsuit from the victims' families up his ass until the day he dies. Then there is the weight of your conscience which will out levy any other type of financial burden.

What if he had a wife, 2 kids, and a dog along with him in the truck?

Process that for a moment.

Shlt happens, but there is truth the statement: "there is no such thing as an accident".
But we can damn sure outfit ourselves as best as possible for when calamity comes.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-28-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...uch-truck.html

What do I know, I actually wear a life vest when I boat and I'm not trashed.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I tow my 47 Apache with my BMW X3....don't worry about stopping.....just go for it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.