Notices

Truck brakes. Opinions wanted

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech

I found out that the only drawback to drilled / slotted rotors, is you can't resurface the rotor.
Do people still cut rotors and drums? I havent had a rotor resurfaced in prob 15 years. I normally toss them and get new rotors once they are done. I guess I got tired of back when the auto parts stores offered free rotor and drum turning, and wasting my time going there for them to tell me "oh, these cant be turned, but we have new ones in stock for you".

Last several brake jobs I've done, I've shopped at rockauto. For my Chevy Dually, I wanted to replace calipers, rotors, pads, and rubber lines to calipers when i bought it. Didnt want to fuk around. I got 2 Wagner premium rotors, on clearance. They were 3.50 Each. Yes, 7 bucks for 2 new rotors! I thought it was a typo until they showed up at my door. Loaded wagner quiet stop, NEW, not reman, calipers, were crazy cheap. Like 15 bucks each or some crap. Love rockauto. I even buy my wiper blades there.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Do people still cut rotors and drums? I havent had a rotor resurfaced in prob 15 years.
I think it is more cleaning the surface for new pads than anything. But yea, your right, if it is damaged easier and better to get new.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I got these a couple months ago on my 3500 DRW Silverado and noticed a huge improvement over OEM.

http://m.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5871A0A0.aspx
Old 10-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Do people still cut rotors and drums? I havent had a rotor resurfaced in prob 15 years. I normally toss them and get new rotors once they are done. I guess I got tired of back when the auto parts stores offered free rotor and drum turning, and wasting my time going there for them to tell me "oh, these cant be turned, but we have new ones in stock for you".

Last several brake jobs I've done, I've shopped at rockauto. For my Chevy Dually, I wanted to replace calipers, rotors, pads, and rubber lines to calipers when i bought it. Didnt want to fuk around. I got 2 Wagner premium rotors, on clearance. They were 3.50 Each. Yes, 7 bucks for 2 new rotors! I thought it was a typo until they showed up at my door. Loaded wagner quiet stop, NEW, not reman, calipers, were crazy cheap. Like 15 bucks each or some crap. Love rockauto. I even buy my wiper blades there.
yea,,i still have a amaco 4000 and use it a few times a week..
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Seems there are plenty of suggestions but I'm going to post mine anyway. I did some research a few years ago and have been very happy with my decision. I put a lift and 35" tires on and made 2 trips to Florida towing my boat from Michigan.......the mountains concerned me because I didn't have an an exhaust brake and my electric trailer brakes have never been great even with a caliper on every wheel (controller may be weak). Anyhow I went with High Iron slotted EBC rotors (sport rotors) and EBC yellow stuff pads. EBC makes several pads but I went with the most aggressive....I was afraid of brake fade in the mountains. They say 30% better stopping over stock and they warned there will be high dust......but nothing will stop better. I have had to make 2 near emergency stops on the highway towing my boat since I put them on and am very pleased with the performance......very consistent stopping with brake pressure....not grabby or darting under hard stops. I could dig up the product info if someone needs it. I think I paid about $350 for front rotors/pads. Got about 15K miles on them now and no regrets.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Beware of NAPA. I had to take NAPA pads off a F350 because it WOULD NOT STOP! The lifetimes were the issue. I stick with factory Motorcraft (yo know what your gonna get)
Old 10-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a brake job on a buddy's F250. He owns a lawn care business and hauls a 20ft enclosed trailer. I used the Advance auto Proline pads and rotors. He said the truck has never stopped so good and there's no brake fade either.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

On my last truck I upgraded the entire brake system with Power Slot rotors, EBC pads and Russel stainless lines. It was a night and day difference on a GMC Duramax. Here are the links...

http://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

http://www.powerslotrotors.com/cryo.htm

http://www.russellperformance.com/

If you go with after market stainless brake lines MAKE SURE to secure the lines to something and in no way able to make contact with the wheel!! I know this from personal experience.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered

Good tip on Rockauto. $316 for heavy duty powerstop rotors and pads on all 4 and $60 mail in rebate. Plus $2 wipers

Last edited by drpete3; 10-27-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered

New brakes installed today. Ill let you guys know what I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.