Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Best oversize all terrain tire that still needs to haul? >

Best oversize all terrain tire that still needs to haul?

Notices

Best oversize all terrain tire that still needs to haul?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest272
Just put Cooper Zion ltz's on my f250 and am pleasantly surprised , good tire so far in gravel and mud and fairly quiet on the highway. Ran destination's before and although they held up well they just didn't have the traction I'd like.
I had one of the Cooper Zeon performance varieties on this; same tire casing, just a different tread pattern.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

Cooper is the Active Thunder of tires.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Nitto Duragraplers are very nice hauling tires also
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Nitto Duragraplers are very nice hauling tires also
Ya, but they look like somethin' an old man would pick! I know how practical you are, though.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
I personally love my Safari TSR's. I run 10 ply tires, they have excellent traction in all weather conditions, they wear like iron and run quiet too.
These have been the best tire I have bought. Awesome sidewall stability when towing, best wearing tire on a 3/4 ton truck in bad road conditions I have found (60k miles) and absolutely awesome on ice and snow. Excellent off road traction yet muck quieter than BFG TA KO yet much more aggressive.

Between 2500 Chevy personal truck and F250 oil patch work truck I've run a lot. Hankooks MT's wear decent but will weather check the tread real bad after less than two years and suck in ice and snow. BFG TA KO's must have changed their compound, because they didn't wear for chit last set I had (less than 30k miles on gutless Ford that doesn't hardly tow and ran lower psi to keep from wearing out centers. Still did.) Nokian A/T's wore out around 40k mile range. Cooper STT wear great on half ton trucks, but a lil too soft and wear fast on 3/4 ton trucks I feel. Goodyear=overpriced and the AT/S have wimpy sidewalls when loaded. Now have on a set of Mastercraft ATS and they seem to be doing very decent although only have 15k miles on them, see how they do when we get some real snowfall. Had a set of 38x14.50 Nitto Graplers on my old Dodge and were an awesome tire all around but just loud road noise.

On the heavy 3/4 tons, I have found that the 305-315 sizes wear much better than the 285 width (stock rim sizes). My F250 rides and drives best with the 315's on stock rims versus the 285 and has much better flotation on job sites (bone stock no lift). That thing normally will get stuck in its own shadow. I run the 305's on my Chevy 2500 (2.5" leveling kit/stock rims). If Chevy could only have a wheel opening like Ford or Dodge I would be a happy man.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to look of the MT style tires but I have put 30,000 miles on it in one year. That's alot of miles listening to the hum of mud tires. I will not kid myself on going off road with this tank. I tried going on the beach in the Outter Banks and even with 10psi in the tires it sank into the sand instantly. Way too much weight up front to do that type of driving.

Too many options. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
...I tried going on the beach in the Outter Banks and even with 10psi in the tires it sank into the sand instantly. Way too much weight up front to do that type of driving.

Too many options. Thanks for all the input.
That's because of the stock wheels and narrow footprint. Wider = better.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cooper stt. I had em about 5 or 6 years ago.
Wear even, look aggressive, and ride quiet.
Forget what ratings they come in.....
I had em on a 3/4 ton and towed boats, bobcats, etc....

Had almost 20 k on them when I sold the truck. Probably about half worn at that point.

Truck was dodge diesel. They were equivalent to 33x12.5s

Last edited by scarab63; 12-01-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My search last year for tires was exhaustive. I witnessed a friend down south having good luck with Nitto. He eventually got 65k on his, so that's what I bought for my 4dr f250. Teragrappler 33's x 20 on a 9 or 10 rim. I really like the aggressive look but they are not loud. I think the shorter sidewall and extra width help in towing the boat 23k last year.They have 29k on them. They wear like iron and are load E. I'll buy another set in a NY minute. [ATTACH=CONFIG]533743[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Best oversize all terrain tire that still needs to haul?-tire.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533834[/ATTACH]I just put a set of Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 in 35x12:50x20 in LRE. The guys that mounted and road force balanced them couldn't believe how little weight they took and they road forced a 12. They ride PERFECT @ all speeds. Even 90 to a 100. I have always had good luck with MT tires. The last set of 35" BFG's that I had were not round. I had to have them trued. It was not a balancing issue. It turned me off of BFG even though I had had good luck in the past with their 35" AT KO's.
Attached Thumbnails Best oversize all terrain tire that still needs to haul?-20141207_103515.jpg  

Last edited by thunderusone; 12-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Just put 6 Roadmaster RM253 133L on and am pleasantly surprised ,going to order out another set for the 450 .