Notices

Aluminum or Galvanized

Old 12-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Aluminum or Galvanized

Need to get a new trailer for the 353 Fastech we just bought. The steel trailer is of no use to us (salt water). Hoping to get some members thoughts whether to buy Aluminum or Galvanized. We tow all the time...short and long distances.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Aluminum
Old 12-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto- Owens and Sons Tampa
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

That Fas-Tech is way too nice for anything other than aluminum.....
Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum, I purchased a new aluminum trailer before I moved down here to the salt. I still wash it at the end of the day because what is not aluminum on it is galvanized.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Get a Manning. You can come by my house some time to look at the buildquality if you want. I'll PM you the address if you want. I do not need to be here for you to check it out.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Aluminum Myco. We have 3 and love them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum or Galvanized-image.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Welded frame with adjustable bunks either way you go. I vote galv but its gotta be a c channel hot dip not electro plated tube. Stainless fastners and nothing less. I have been very happy with my loadmaster over the last year. Been in the salt plenty and not a spec of rust. Give gary or megan a call they make a great trailer! Another must is a v block front stop no more roller..
Old 12-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Registered

Well I have a couple thoughts on trailers. I personally go with steel and I dunk it in saltwater. Chesapeake Bay, Keys, Morehead etc. You put your boat back on the trailer and wash it right? Do you wash the trailer? Painted steel will hold up as long or longer than aluminum. But you have to keep the painted surface in good condition. Yes aluminum is lighter and almost as strong as steel depending on the application. Steel rusts and people don't like when the steel returns to it original state, Iron Ore. And turns everything brown. But aluminum corrodes also. It is just harder to see. It will look white or sometimes like blackish colored oil looking film. Granulation is another form of corrosion in aluminum that is very hard to see. When water or salt water works it way between joints or small inclusions in the aluminum itself it corrodes from the inside out and you don't see it until it's to late. Galvanized trailers are steel that is dipped in a hot bath and coated in the protective coating which is pretty darn tough. But it to can get scratched and rust over a long time. There is also "Dissimilar Metals" We have all seen it. Look at a older galvanized trailer and there are rust stains in the fenders. This when you attach galvanized parts together with steel parts. Or steel to aluminum. Than you add water and you have created electrolysis. Much like the battery in your car. That's when the corrosion starts. Washing with soapy water and than a little CPC goes a long way over time. I have been in the aircraft repair business for 30+ years now and if you have seen some of the corroded aluminum parts that I have you might reconsider steel. By the way the axles under every trailer I see are still made from steel. besides I think a nicely painted trailer that match's the boat looks nice.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

dexter does galvinized axles that work well in salt water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.