Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed >

2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed

Notices

2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed

Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed

Bought this brand new in 2010 has 50 k miles currently and for a while has a coolant leak, its seems to leak from the top portion down and drips off the bottom hose and or hose connects underneath.

I had a friend who owned a big FORD house (place I bought the truck) and was going to get it fixed under a TSB or something related to a FORD payback. Anyways they sold the dealership. Like I said it has 50k miles currently and is not even 5 years old yet. Does anyone have any info on these leaking coolant and or a TSB for it. I did not buy the extended warranty rip off deal so I believe all warranties are done.

Next where is a good source to buy all these filters for the truck - like oil, all the diesel fuel filters and the air & cabin filters. Man retail just in filters is over 300 bucks, I checked with WIX on a dealer account and its somewhere in the 200's. Any other sources selling this stuff that's more in line. Unreal drop in oil filter 54 bucks alone - air filter 85 bucks.

I really do not know a whole lot about diesel apps other than my hand nor my arms fits no where for working on anything engine related on this truck. I know the injectors can be a problem over time. How about the EGR on this app ? or was that on the 6.0 problem area.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Radiators are known to leak at the welds on the top corners, Not a cheap fix. No real good aftermarket answer out either. I've always got my fuel & oil filters at O'reillys.(Wix oil) Can't remeber the brand of the fuels. $54 WIX is for the cap & filter, think its like $30 without the cap. Working on them isn"t near as bad as it looks. Get rid of the EGR & DPF. Getting tuners to do this is getting harder & harder to come by, prices are really going up. Go to powerstrokearmy.com lots of good info in the forum there.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a TSB for a radiator, but no reimbursement mentioned. PM me your VIN and I will make a phone call and see what an OASIS report pulls up, they might have some sort of a special policy.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.diesel-filters.com/catego...s-and-pcv.html
Old 12-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tsb is 11-12-04. If its not leaking from the lower left-driver side- radiator it is probably leaking from the upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing or the lower radiator hose where it connects to the front engine cover. There are certain parts that are covered under the tsb through the factory diesel powerstroke warranty. The radiator is not. But if coded correctly through the dealership and your truck is still under the 5 year/100k mark, they can make it work under warranty. Some dealers dont so you have to pay. It can go either way. Sometimes they leak at the egr cooler rubber hose fittings but those are rare.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trade it in on a 6.7 and don't look back.....

You will thank me someday
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Registered

its either the radiator or the the thermostat housing. its hard to tell from your explanation. if you do go to aftermarket oil filters ( i wouldnt) make sure you save the top cap to the oil filter. most aftermarket filters come with their own every time. motorcraft does not. the only filters i would run that are not motor craft would be aftermarket cold air, and a cabin filter. fuel and oil i would not mess around with. also change them when recomended. my dads 6.0 has over 450,000 pulling a horse trailer on it now. i made sure he uses motorcraft and ford parts. when i was still at the dealer we had a guy whos company paid all the maintanance on his truck. so he changed every fillter on the truck every 5,000 miles and fluids when the manual said to. at 425,000 we finally took a valve cover for an injector. he also had us do an egr delete and an oil cooler relocation at the same time just because. but jesus 425,000 with maintanance is unheard of. even now that im at cummins dealing with ISX everyday. most of the common rails dont make it to 200,000 without carbon packing the rings and polishing the liners. at that point it needs an inframe. which for our customers like walmart it takes no time to get to 200,000.

or do like the guy above me says and get a 6.7. they are straight nasty from the factory. i would compare it to going from 41 sea ray to a 41 apache.

i remember doing PDIs when they first came out. you could be cruising down the interstate at 65. mat the throttle into the fast lane and back to the slow lane and see exactly where your tires were the entire time. i called one of my buddies with a 24 valve. he had 90 hp injectors, a built tranny edge EZ and a smarty with a fass fuel system. he only walked away 1.5 trucks from 40-90.

Last edited by beaver 3; 12-18-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a 6.7 and I love it. That being said, if I owned a 6.4 out of warranty, I would delete the EGR, dump the DPF, put a programmer on it and have a damn near bulletproof motor. The 6.4 gets a bad rap due to the poor economy and EGR problems, but it is a pretty damn stout motor overall. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

2nd that on the 6.7l. I've owned them all and tuned them all. My 6.7 with 205xxx miles stock and out pulls them all! Own a 6.4 long enough and the lifters come apart. The are pretty much the same bottom end as a 6.0l, stong but have lifter failures.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

John,
From what I have seen, they eventually need the same work as the 6.0L trucks.

I have a good friend with a 6.4L rollback, and he drives that truck HARD and a LOT. He puts a new radiator in every year. I can find out which aftermarket he goes with if you want. He just put one in 2 weeks ago and I talked to him about it. He stated they leak up near the top on the ends.

I've found good deals buying filters in bulk online, eBay and the like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.