Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction >

Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction

Notices

Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction

Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that the radiator issues on the 6.7 is widespread problem. Issues like these I feel fall into the "$hit happens" catagory. But like Jupiter Sunsation said these new trucks have wires and sensors all over the place and if on of those components fail it will make for a bad day. I will take a sensor failing over a turbo, injector or internal component failing any day of the week. Now, I hope like hell I just didn't jinx myself because the Ford dealerships in Houston are not good at all!!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

I have a F550 with a 6.7 with 175k and no issues other than a a/c compressor. Also have a f350 with the 6.7 that has 45k on it with no issues. I did the delete kit on the 350 and it's the best thing I ever did!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also love my Ford truck, BTW it's a 2012 F-250.
Before we bought it I test drove a new Dodge Mega Cab and the Ford side by side, one of the local dealers carries both brands. I jumped out of one and right into the other, then asked the salesman, "how much less is the Dodge" when he said they're the same price it made my decision easy and I've been loving it every single day since then...until this weekend.
Now I'm not running out to trade it in, but I will be prepared next time & hopefully so will anyone else who owns one and didn't know about this wide spread problem.
It really sucks when you buy brand new vehicles under warranty because you don't want to deal with headaches then get left stranded in the middle of nowhere! I had my 10 & 12 year old girls with me hunting and non-running truck = no heat for 2 hours. Turns out if you keep an extra sensor, p/n AC3Z-5J213-B, a code scanner and a 13mm wrench you can fix it yourself pretty easily.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Read your warranty paperwork and window sticker the new 6.7 only have a 70k mile warranty on them for motor! I learned that after the fact lol

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
What year is your truck? This should be covered under the 100K Diesel warranty.

I am fairly active on powerstroke.org and haven't heard about this problem as being a widespread issue. I have a 2011 F-350 with over 80K on it and 'knock on wood' nothing like this has happened.

Are all the EGT sensors the same part numbers?

Thanks for passing this information along.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We even have the extended warranty to 100,000 miles, but it doesn't matter when you're broke down hours from home!
It's a total trip wrecker having to get towed and figure out what to do with your trailer & family.
That's why I posted this, just trying to help fellow 6.7L FORD owners be prepared for the inevitable EGT sensor fail.

Someone tried telling me all you need to do is wait 30 mins and it resets itself, but that was not the case for my situation.
I tried to wait for an hour without any key turns, that didn't work.
I even tried to unhook the batteries for 45 mins and no dice.
In fact I was on the phone calling for a tow and left the key on by accident, while talking to them the warning suddenly went away and the truck started!

I got a few blocks down the road and it popped right back up, but instead of slowing down I kept my foot in the gas and "drove through it" actually we made it all the way back home about two hours away before it happened again right down the road from the house. Then I couldn't get it re-started and called for a tow.
I think I got lucky and made it that close to home. Felt like a ticking time bomb every time I had to stop though because if it happens when stopped the truck dies!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wowchad
I also love my Ford truck, BTW it's a 2012 F-250.
Before we bought it I test drove a new Dodge Mega Cab and the Ford side by side, one of the local dealers carries both brands. I jumped out of one and right into the other, then asked the salesman, "how much less is the Dodge" when he said they're the same price it made my decision easy and I've been loving it every single day since then...until this weekend.
Now I'm not running out to trade it in, but I will be prepared next time & hopefully so will anyone else who owns one and didn't know about this wide spread problem.
It really sucks when you buy brand new vehicles under warranty because you don't want to deal with headaches then get left stranded in the middle of nowhere! I had my 10 & 12 year old girls with me hunting and non-running truck = no heat for 2 hours. Turns out if you keep an extra sensor, p/n AC3Z-5J213-B, a code scanner and a 13mm wrench you can fix it yourself pretty easily.
thanks for this great info,i will be adding a sensor,wrench and my code scanner to my travel kit.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Makes you want to leave town with it again ha ha , picked the wrong make that mutha will leave you hangin again .
Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

everything we buy now is computer controlled crap.... works good when its working but forget about trying to fix most of it yourself anymore.... In Canada factory powertrain is 160,000 kms/ 100k miles (almost) oh ford did the waterpump and driveshaft covered under warranty just before i hit the 160k
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

As a diesel power tuning hobbyist, I'll attempt shed a bit of light on what's happening here. All the new domestic trucks share this same part, and point of failure.

The engine goes into "limp mode" because those EGT sensors are considered part of the emissions system. Nothing to do with engine safety. If any part of "emissions" fails, or provides the ECM out of spec data, the ECM/PCM goes into limp. Forcing the driver to resolve this issue within a few miles, or push the truck home. Cause we all know it's better to limp 100 miles out of the bush, while maintaining legal emissions. Even if that means you'll likely be eaten by a bear along the way. At least you'll die with a CLEAN conscience.

On a good note, if you do make it into a dealership, push the point that these are emissions critical parts. Ask to see the fault codes, and then point out where is says EPA - Emissions beside the description. If your under 80k they "should" be covered like the DPF and other exhaust parts according to the LAW. But you may need to jump up and down and shout at the service manager with a high volume to get his attention to this fact.
Another good link on this http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...s-ford-448801/

Your other choices are as listed above. Carry spares sensors, a scan tool of some sorts, and learn to change them yourself. Along with something to keep the bears off you while making the change. Luckily our Aussie friends are exempt from such troubles. They successfully petitioned the government to allow one to legally remove, or at least work around these limp problems. How? By stating my 100 miles in the bush case, and swapping out the "bear" with horny-rabbit kangaroo's...

It worked for them, and some nice guys from New Zealand released a tuning system called EFIlive. For now it only works on GM and Dodge, but does allow one to "in case of dire emergencies" remove all that limp related stuff from of the ECM. Thus avoiding being ass raped by said kangaroo's, or eaten alive by a grizzly bear. With new Ford's 6.7L it's a little tricky, but professional SCT tuners can still write off-road RACE tunes that do the same thing. Saving you from the bears and kangaroo's, but allowing you to be ass raped by the feds if they catch ya running it on the street.

Hope that helps. And remember, always carry good running shoes in your new diesel vehicle...
Old 12-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

So due to the fact that a few have had EGT sensor failures, which I don't doubt at all, we should condemn all 6.7 Fords? I appreciate feedback, and adhere to a regiment that will help alleviate failures due to poor maintenance. With that said our facilities service hundreds of 6.7 Fords. We have seen some EGT sensor failures. But in no way would it ever present me the concern to avoid the trucks. Matter of fact I have one with 30k on it and it works extremely well. The % of EGT failures to the number of the 6.7s on the road is extremely low. Of course that is of small consolation when one breaks down on the road.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.