Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction >

Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction

Notices

Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction

Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning FORD 6.7L STOP SAFELY NOW EGT sensor malfunction

These trucks have 4 EGT sensors on the exhaust system that are failing between 50,000 and 70,000 miles. (48,600 in my case AND out of town!)
When they fail and they do so without any warning, YOU ARE DEAD IN THE WATER!!!
The truck will start to shift down until you reach a creep speed (under 4mph) and then completely shut off.
You usually can't start it again without the Ford dealer overriding the system and clearing a code. I was able to restart after about 2 hours sitting in traffic at a stop sign.
Even so it will happen again and again until the affected sensor is replaced. The sensors are about $60 apiece and the labor is about $300. Or under 30 mins if you carry a spare

If you have 50,000'ish miles on your truck, I highly reccommend that you get to the Ford dealer for sensor replacements.
You'll probably have to pay for it as the warranty may not cover the repair, but you will avoid getting left high and dry & paying for a tow.

They issued a recall on them BUT ONLY ON AMBULANCES.
Online option is Ford is likely to get a lawsuit over this once someone gets into a bad accident because of this failure and forced shutdown in a dangerous situation as it cannot be overridden to "limp in". It's a forced shutdown when a sensor fails without warning.

You have been warned! Do some online searches for more info, but mine failed again & had to get towed in.
I for one will be carrying spares from now on because it was a total day wrecker while out of town hunting with my girls over the weekend.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is your truck? This should be covered under the 100K Diesel warranty.

I am fairly active on powerstroke.org and haven't heard about this problem as being a widespread issue. I have a 2011 F-350 with over 80K on it and 'knock on wood' nothing like this has happened.

Are all the EGT sensors the same part numbers?

Thanks for passing this information along.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2013...24k miles...so I'm curious as he!! too!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's another instance where someone got stranded because of the DPF system. Going into "idle only" mode at the wrong time seems like it would definitely cause some problems on the freeway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu16sPNgR00
Old 12-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Gotta love it waiting for the ambulance and it dies on the road , I say again can O worms .
Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

ya know...I have been around diesel engines my entire life being in the business I'm in...the time has passed when I could fix the problem myself (troubleshoot, pull and replace parts)...it's off to the shop or call the tow truck to come pick it up....and that includes the heavy equipment I have too...call the dealer at $125 an hour plus travel time, mileage, fuel surcharge, environmental fee, consumables etc!!! man who here owns a dealership, you should be able to own a d@mn fleet of powerboats LOL.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are several things with those things that if the ECM does not like it...you are walking !!!! heard of it happening numerous times..
Old 12-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...o-restart.html
Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup Not a good deal, happened to our 2012 f350. None of our dealers stock the part and ford had it on back order. Lost a week with our equipment delivery truck being down.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Sounds like a 86 Chevy Crew Cab w/502 aftermarket FI(and possibly whipple), along a Turbo 400 and Gear Vendors Over/Under drive may be the ticket.

Even with low mpg and stould still end up being way cheaper than today's deisel trucks considering for the got damn repairs.

Damn new truck world sucks ...especially for those who work out of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.