Notices

Thinking about a new truck...

Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't know why, unless you lived in a city, that you'd want a shortbed. Towing aside, they just look so up useable for everyday tasks - trips to the dump, mulch runs, etc.....

I daily drive my dually, but I've only had one real circumstance where I wished I had a SrW - in a parking garage in Norfolk one time, but frankly I'm not sure it would have been any more manageable in a SrW
Old 02-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As many have already said, the perfect tow vehicle for a boat that size is probably a one ton 4x4 diesel dually. That said, a vehicle like that is a lousy daily driver. And as good as the diesels are at towing, the extra cost takes years to pay back.

So you’re in a rather unique position where you’re probably going to end up with something that’s a compromise on both the towing and daily driver fronts. Since it sounds like you really don’t tow all that far, you could probably compromise on something like an extended cab (the longer the wheelbase the better) gas powered three quarter ton 4x4 truck. Quite honestly, it won’t be the best in either world, but it will at least be acceptable and won’t break the bank.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I just can't figure out some of you. There are people on here talking about gas and diesel engines and the mileage we get or don't get. If we truly cared about mileage we would be on Sailboating.com
Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fordf350
You know I just can't figure out some of you. There are people on here talking about gas and diesel engines and the mileage we get or don't get. If we truly cared about mileage we would be on Sailboating.com
A penny saved is a penny earned. You do enough of it and you can turn that 29 into a 38.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't see how a modern 4x4 diesel dually is a lousy DD. I love mine and when we take trips we choose it over the tahoe. It gets better mileage, is just as comfortable and is roomier inside.....
Old 02-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered

to haul it out once a year, and possibly an east coast trip? Man, you are really trying to justify buying a new big diesel, aren't ya?
No way I'd drive a diesel 3/4 ton or bigger as a daily driver if that's all I needed it for.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No, because I understand it isn't really justified (I tow about 8 miles a year total), I was just saying these new diesels are refined and make pretty good DD's if you don't want the multi automobile hassle....
Old 02-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
No, because I understand it isn't really justified (I tow about 8 miles a year total), I was just saying these new diesels are refined and make pretty good DD's if you don't want the multi automobile hassle....
Oh don't get me wrong. The newest generation of diesels from Ford, GM & Dodge are incredible. They don't even sound like diesels anymore. But when you factor in the significant additional purchase price for the diesel option, plus the more expensive maintenance, plus the higher registration fees, plus ... I think you get my drift. It makes for a pretty darn expensive daily driver.

Oh, and parking one at the mall isn't any picnic either.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

I just got home after a run to the UP to snowmobile... drove a 2015 4x4 2500 denali Duramax.I drove both ways pulling a 6k trailer.What a friggin nice truck the exhaust brake was sweeeet.15 mpg 58k truck not mine its my brothers.My 1999 Dodge/Cummins will out pull it, but comes up short on evertyhing else.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

that is going to be fun regardless b/c you have a 10'2" Beam!! Its around 8900 dry, so your looking at 12kish towing loaded with trailer at least...

Most 330s owners I have spoken too dont trailer.. My f250 6.7 is rated for 14k, so it has plenty to pull, but that will be a beast to tow down the road (wide). good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.