Notices

Suburban vs Expedition EL

Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Suburban vs Expedition EL

I am thinking of replacing my 2008 Suburban 1500. Purchased new and now has about 130,000 miles. I have not been as happy with this one as previous ones. Irritating things such as tow switch failure and power door lock failures, Have had two door lock failures which are irritating end expensive and just yesterday the rear hatch failed to open. I don't see any fix other then taking the inside panels off. I have been happy with the engine and power train.

It is used to haul the Velocity VR 1 and also to haul Irish Wolfhounds to dog shows, camp etc. So I do need something the size of a Suburban and the towing ability. Also the third row seat needs to removable and the second row seats need to fold flat. Three or four Wolfhounds tend to fill space quickly and then of course you have luggage, food etc.

It looks like the most comparable to a Suburban is the Ford Expedition EL. Has anyone here ever switched from a Suburban to an Expedition EL? How did it work out? Any Expedition EL owners here, if so how do you like it? How does it tow?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
I am thinking of replacing my 2008 Suburban 1500. Purchased new and now has about 130,000 miles. I have not been as happy with this one as previous ones. Irritating things such as tow switch failure and power door lock failures, Have had two door lock failures which are irritating end expensive and just yesterday the rear hatch failed to open. I don't see any fix other then taking the inside panels off. I have been happy with the engine and power train.

It is used to haul the Velocity VR 1 and also to haul Irish Wolfhounds to dog shows, camp etc. So I do need something the size of a Suburban and the towing ability. Also the third row seat needs to removable and the second row seats need to fold flat. Three or four Wolfhounds tend to fill space quickly and then of course you have luggage, food etc.

It looks like the most comparable to a Suburban is the Ford Expedition EL. Has anyone here ever switched from a Suburban to an Expedition EL? How did it work out? Any Expedition EL owners here, if so how do you like it? How does it tow?

Thanks,

Padraig

I had a 2009 Yukon with the door lock failures.......if it makes you feel better my 2010 F150 has the same issue!

My neighbor has had multiple Suburbans and got a Expedition 2 years back. She loves the fold flat seats in the 3rd row but hates the light tan interior that shows every spot of dirt! The new Suburbans have the fold flat seats in the 3rd row (2015 models).
Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Towed my 28 Active with my 1999 Ex. NOT EL Towed great. Mine was older and had a straight axle. The independent rear suspension reduces the towing cap. The truck squatted a bit having coils. Steering ratio is car like.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

Someone on another forum mentioned the newer Expeditions with independent suspension did not tow well. If that is true I may have to stay with the Suburban as the three I have had all have done a good job of towing a Velocity 280 or VR 1.

I have also just found out that this years model is only available with the V 6 Eco Boost. I would think that you would be in boost constantly when towing. May need to look at 2013/2014 models.

Anyone else have any experience with the newer Expeditions?

Padraig
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote suburban all the way, maybe you had a bad apple, not sure what year they got the 6 speed tranny, pickups were in 09 and made a big difference
Old 04-21-2015, 03:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If I need a capable towing SUV, I'd have to invest in an Excursion. Even though they are a bit older, you can find some low mileage ones. Get the PSD and roll it. While I am not a fan of the 6.0L PSD; I'd rather have such than a small block gasser anything.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Here are two nice examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excursi...m=271841702480

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excursi...m=231528819173

Yes, with the 6.0L, you will eventually have to "bulletproof" it which will cost around $8K. That is heads, studs, gaskets, injectors, etc. However, they are solid after that procedure. If you can find a 7.3L, even better.

They are such OMINOUS vehicles on the road, I get a little jealous when I see a nice one.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Registered

Hi Sam. It hasn't been a bad truck and mostly I like it. Just little but costly things such as two passenger door locks, the tow switch, the gas shocks for the rear hatch and just recently the release switch for the hatch. However the more I hear about the Expedition the more I think it will not tow as nice as the Suburban. I am thinking I will keep this another year and then start looking. I bought this one new but as I am retired and putting on much less mileage on this vehicle, I may look for a low mileage used one.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Here are two nice examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excursi...m=271841702480

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excursi...m=231528819173

Yes, with the 6.0L, you will eventually have to "bulletproof" it which will cost around $8K. That is heads, studs, gaskets, injectors, etc. However, they are solid after that procedure. If you can find a 7.3L, even better.

They are such OMINOUS vehicles on the road, I get a little jealous when I see a nice one.
Interesting thought, Brian. I assumed the Excursion diesels were quite scarce. Please explain having to bullet proof it. I assume there are problems after a certain mileage??? Does anyone know if all the seats fold flat (flush) wit the floor? What kind of real world mileage do they get and what year did they have the 7.3?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540196[/ATTACH]

Old school tow vehicle
Attached Thumbnails Suburban vs Expedition EL-berkslawontrailer.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.