Notices

Trailer Question

Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I used to haul big wrecking style dump trailers for a demo company. They built their own trailers. They had a very cool feature. Obviously semi trailer with air brakes/air suspension. Anyhow, the suspension was a triple axle air bag setup. The trailer had air valves on the side. You can raise any axle off the ground, by pushing a button. Want to raise the front of the 3 axles, push a button. Want to raise front two axles, push two buttons.

This was a nice feature, as I would often have to back a big wrecking trailer into tight alleys and what not. So, sometimes, I would raise the rear axles off the ground, which made it easier to get in/out of tight quarters. Obviously all 3 on the ground when going down the road loaded.

I think this would be cool on boat trailers. Air bag suspension, with the option to raise the axles. Sometimes backing up a triple axle boat trailer in a tight spot can be hard, but also tough on the axles from the twisting/jackknifing . Prob not something for the average boat, but at the cost of some of the big boy boat trailers, I think it be pretty cool. I know on semi trailers, it really isnt much more cost to opt for air ride suspension over spring suspension.
Interesting, and I like it. I'm sure Myco, Lugo, and Skater could incorporate this.
But at what price? People already skimp on boat trailers. How many are going to invest in that, to justify the cost of development.

Also, if you are going to raise 2 of 3 axles off the ground, even briefly. The 3rd axle supporting the weight needs to have every single component rated to support the entire load. Now you are talking exponential costs and/or running perhaps two calibers of running gear, complicating logistics and economies of scale.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Here's a link to my quick axle swap.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...ler-axles.html