Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any Toyota /  Lexus techs Up Here >

Any Toyota / Lexus techs Up Here

Notices

Any Toyota / Lexus techs Up Here

Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know if this will help or not?

http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/M1UZrm.pdf.

Found it here.

http://www.epicmarine.com/forum4/index.php?topic=2493.0.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^ well heck yes that is the OEM service manual for this app. Thanks for the links.

And the OBD II is installed on a bracket, top of the flywheel housing.

Also has a MIL lite at the dash or should. We will see.

I would wonder if a lot in this service manual is the same on the auto side to.

It lists 5 w -30 motor oil at almost 6 qts to.

Thanks again that was a huge help. I also had some of this correct to, from memory back when it came out in 1997.

Last edited by BUP; 06-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You'er welcome, good luck with the boat.

Last edited by 30ftpanther; 06-16-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BUP, this is all standard run of the mill Yota stuff, shouldn't really be any mysteries with it. It does use a COP setup and also a MAF sensor. If you are going to bring an OBD scan tool with you, you will be able to see some generic data, but the refresh rate is usually horrible. At idle, your MAF reading should equal around 5 gm/second. Much lower or higher than that and start checking for a contaminated MAF sensor. Bring a can of brake cleaner with you to hose it off with, it's good maintenance any how. If the plugs were run too long it typically over stresses the coils and burns one out. It almost looks like it is a drive by wire setup looking through the manual. Either way, this thing is pretty cool and now I want a Toyota ski boat, great.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks again everyone and Matt.

The boat is coming to me in 2 weeks. If I recall for the 5 year span that Toyota owned all of this 1997 thru 2002 - I think only 86 boats were sold in the USA. Again if I recall correctly - I could be wrong about that but that number seems to stick in my head.

Yes brake cleaner to clean the wire(s) in the MAF. I did think of that first to. I would think it will need a impeller and a water circ pump possible to. I have never seen one of these in person. One of the reasons I wanted to work on it after the fact because it is so rare.

Also thinking whatever fuel system problems and Injectors - as they did say the boat sat inside for a very longtime.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
BUP
Banned

The Toyota Boat with the marine OEM Lexus engine will be lake tested this coming Tuesday by myself and the owner.. Kind of can't wait to see this and have a chance to work on it something that is so very rare. .

They told me today that the oil pressure is really high. Will see if its the sender or oil pump problem or whatever. Also as reported these use 5 w-30 motor oil wonder if they put straight 40 weight in it or something like that.

Any known issues with these Lexus engines (Auto) for high oil pressure readings. Just asking beforehand.

Last edited by BUP; 07-10-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Check the harness for the OPS and CKP that runs down by the crank pulley to see if it is positioned wrong and chafing like I mentioned in post 10. Typically when the sending units go bad they read lower than normal oil pressure.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this boat.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 PM
BUP
Banned

The Toyota boat came in today, it went to the lake but just stayed on the trailer at the boat ramp

The engine is a lot different than any other marine engine I have ever seen. The exhaust manifolds are so rinky dink and small. Very poor exterior design and quality is average at best. The water pump housing is very tiny and I think is made by Johnson.

The alternator runs very hot but not sure if the temps are normal.

The water temps running according to the OEM owners manual is 140 to 200 degrees for normal for engine running. The temp on the gauge as it has analog cluster and a another gauge that displays digital readouts - kind of like smartcraft persay.

The temp reads 195 to 205 running in the water at idle. There is 3 water leaks one was caused by a miss winterization IMO as the water box silencer leaks water at the very bottom pretty good. More info as I have a lot more to report.

Last edited by BUP; 07-14-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:29 PM
BUP
Banned

Matt I have an older OBD II scan tool but nothing fancy. I bought it a long time ago to scan a car here and there. This Lexus engine 1999 / 2000 is OBD II what current scan tool do you recommend ? I was thinking instead of finding mine just take it over to O-Reilly's and let them scan it with newest OBD II scanner for free plus they can give me a complete print out. My old scan OBD II scan does not have the capability for printing. Thoughts on this - Auto diagnostic scanning is not where I am trained in but I do know a lot of autos carry that PO430 code but of course this boat engine should not have a code like this. O2 / cat problem because there is none. Thanks
Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

Yes, a P0430 is a bank 2 cat efficiency code - you should not have that. The auto OBD scan should give you anything any other generic OBDII scanner will give you. If you want enhanced Toyota data a Snap-On Solus or better should do what you need. I forget now, is it reporting a check engine light?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.