Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone familiar with military surplus Humvees? >

Anyone familiar with military surplus Humvees?

Notices

Anyone familiar with military surplus Humvees?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with military surplus Humvees?

Interested in purchasing a HMMWV Humvee. I'm leaning towards purchasing one that's already in circulation to get around the wait and hassle of buying direct. By going this route I can also see the vehicle prior to paying for it so I have a good idea of what I'm getting.

Here's the part I can't seem to find out about them. I've searched high and low for some sort of market value on them. Can't find a thing. Does anyone know enough about these things to be able to give some sort of pricing info?

I've searched Hummer forums and can't even find info there. Obviously NADA doesn't show anything. I feel helpless not knowing what a fair offer is on one.

Buck
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://titledhummers.com/
Friend of mines business. Give them a look.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Registered

From what I have been told. The military version of Hummers are not DOT approved. So just getting one and than getting it titled is a big pain in a**. It may just be me, But after running around in those things for the last 30 years I wouldn't want one. They are noisy, Uncomfortable to drive around in, Getting in and out of is a pain and I don't know how easy parts are to get on the civilian side.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fordf350
From what I have been told. The military version of Hummers are not DOT approved. So just getting one and than getting it titled is a big pain in a**. It may just be me, But after running around in those things for the last 30 years I wouldn't want one. They are noisy, Uncomfortable to drive around in, Getting in and out of is a pain and I don't know how easy parts are to get on the civilian side.
The ones I am looking at have already been titled and tagged by the seller. Thus the reason for not buying direct. It's also my understanding they they are now issuing titles and needed paperwork when buying direct to remedy this issue. May not apply to every state, but most are accommodating. My state wouldn't be an issue.

As for noise and comfort......it will be used on a 25,000 acre hunting lease in Texas. The ability to get from A to B is the most important thing down there, everything else is moot. When it is back home it will be used as a third or fourth vehicle, in other words just to goof around in. Problem solved. Really no different than an old Jeep in the big picture.

Buck
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevinb230

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Buck
Old 08-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Registered

Do yourself a favor, junk the 6.5 or 6.2 (depending on what year you get). I was a mechanic in the Army for 14 years and I cannot even count how many of those engines died and we had to replace. We even had crankshafts snap in the middle under normal operation. Stuff it with a BBC or another diesel for some real fun
Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Check the Government Liquidation site, they are the ones that auction them for the military, there is usually a condition statement on each one. Check several locations. They also sell lots 2.5 and 5 ton trucks (Duse & 1/2's) all kinds of neat stuff there. Towable generators/air conditioners/MK 16 truck everything/diesel motors. if the military uses it it's on there
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
Do yourself a favor, junk the 6.5 or 6.2 (depending on what year you get). I was a mechanic in the Army for 14 years and I cannot even count how many of those engines died and we had to replace. We even had crankshafts snap in the middle under normal operation. Stuff it with a BBC or another diesel for some real fun
Good to know. I am going into this knowing their might be a 6.0 swap or something of the like down the road.

Other than the power plant, are there any other areas in the drivetrain to be concerned about in your opinion?

Buck
Old 08-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevinb230
Took a look around his site. That helped give me an idea of what they are brining on the market. The two I have found are both less than $20k each. I didn't know if he was out of line or not. Based off what your buddy sells them for I'd say this price is fair.

Buck
Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Check the Government Liquidation site, they are the ones that auction them for the military, there is usually a condition statement on each one. Check several locations. They also sell lots 2.5 and 5 ton trucks (Duse & 1/2's) all kinds of neat stuff there. Towable generators/air conditioners/MK 16 truck everything/diesel motors. if the military uses it it's on there
I've looked around on this site for many hours. The red tape involved with the process along with the wait time are the reasons I want to buy one already in circulation. Throw in all the taxes you have to pay to everyone and that makes buying from an individual VERY appealing.

Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.