Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Brake lines on trucks DO go bad. >

Brake lines on trucks DO go bad.

Notices

Brake lines on trucks DO go bad.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand the salt being used up for "y'all" northerners, but we get the salt and chemical when there's a chance of precipitation in the winter months. 9 times out of ten, the rain washes the stuff away before any wintery precip falls. I'm told that the road dept. has to use it or they don't get as much the next year. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the pretreat chemicals they use now. This stuff reactivates when it gets wet instead of washing away. So you go from salt use in just the winter to all through the spring rains also. We don't see the salt crust washing off the bottom of cars until the start of summer. This is assuming the spring had enough rain.

Brakes, suspension, frames, lower body panels, etc....
Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Just finished some tranny lines on another Chevy truck, if it matters. HAh !
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ABS pumps go bad too! Brakes got real spongy after a 225mi tow with 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4, 7.3L, not knowing master cylinder on my trailer was shot. Most of the tow was straight highway and on the gas, but still, got to stop at times. Anyway, after a thorough inspection, computerized bleed, new master cylinder, pads, rotors were good, problem traced down to $1230 Hydraulic Control Unit (aka ABS pump). All the lines come into this unit, which builds pressure (when working correctly).

Good thing is, this pump was installed in thousands of Ford Excursions and Super Duties. So, got one from a junk yard out of a 2004 F350 for $65!, exact same part and part number, had it installed, and am good and firm again (the brakes that it is). hahahahaha!!!

Thought I would share. Two points, this is a critical part of the brake system AND, there are some great parts in a junk yard for cheap. $65 vs $1230, no brainer.....
Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 AM
SB
Registered

A few more cups of coffee and than I'm going into work to guess what ? Replace all the metal and rubber lines plus I'm sure a few calipers on a....can you guess ?....... A Chevy pick up with just under 60k miles.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Notice all that moisture on the rear differential? That's brake fluid; along with having sprayed all under the bed, muffler, rear end, and driveshaft. (Hot brake fluid STINKS like hell BTW.)

I was towing some friends' boat home this evening behind my 2003 Chevy 2500HD. I was well within towing specs, as the towed load is probably 5000 lbs, or so.

But I ended up breaking a brake line on the truck.
Guess what kind of brakes the trailer has...
...Yep, surge/hydraulic.

Remember, these trailer brakes do NOT work AT ALL when you can't brake the truck.

We crept home about 10 miles or so without incident, but that was AFTER I knew the brake line broke just after pulling out of the ramp.
Thank goodness for:
E-brake that works well.
Allison transmission that downshifts for engine braking.
A little bit of front brakes that were enough to stop the truck ONLY when I was creeping up to the two stoplights on the trip home...
...after I used the E-brake to get down under 5mph and took the truck out of gear. (Didn't want to seize E-brake bringing rig to full stop with such.)
I always carry a pair of vice grips in my truck. You could have pinched off the flex line from the frame to the rear end and still have front brakes.

One time I cut and folded the metal line on a trailer and still had 3 brakes to get home. Better than rolling with no brakes.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:19 AM
SB
Registered

Or a hammer or a rock or a ............smash it (on the line that leaks and obviously before the leak) so it pinches off....lol.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

They use brine water recovered from fracking wells on the roads also. Good in temps above 20f.