Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Brake lines on trucks DO go bad. >

Brake lines on trucks DO go bad.

Notices

Brake lines on trucks DO go bad.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Brake lines on trucks DO go bad.

Notice all that moisture on the rear differential? That's brake fluid; along with having sprayed all under the bed, muffler, rear end, and driveshaft. (Hot brake fluid STINKS like hell BTW.)

I was towing some friends' boat home this evening behind my 2003 Chevy 2500HD. I was well within towing specs, as the towed load is probably 5000 lbs, or so.

But I ended up breaking a brake line on the truck.
Guess what kind of brakes the trailer has...
...Yep, surge/hydraulic.

Remember, these trailer brakes do NOT work AT ALL when you can't brake the truck.

We crept home about 10 miles or so without incident, but that was AFTER I knew the brake line broke just after pulling out of the ramp.
Thank goodness for:
E-brake that works well.
Allison transmission that downshifts for engine braking.
A little bit of front brakes that were enough to stop the truck ONLY when I was creeping up to the two stoplights on the trip home...
...after I used the E-brake to get down under 5mph and took the truck out of gear. (Didn't want to seize E-brake bringing rig to full stop with such.)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Oh my, you didn't have it towed????? But you didn't have brakes and you're the trailer nazi!!! Lol been in this situation many times. Sh!t happens you deal with it, use common sense and fix it asap
Old 09-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Oh my, you didn't have it towed????? But you didn't have brakes and you're the trailer nazi!!! Lol been in this situation many times. Sh!t happens you deal with it, use common sense and fix it asap
I briefly considered having my buddy come and tow it all home. I also had my F-350 in the garage that I could have retrieved the boat with.
Alas, we lived though. We would have been in trouble if a panic stop was required though.

I've turned over a new leaf, a risk-taker now.
Once home, I sprayed down all the fluid with brake cleaner, hosed that off; and went inside for a brewski. It will still be there in the morning.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Had to replace ALL the brake lines on my 2002 2500 HD a couple of years ago.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Remember Sydwayz 12 towing tips kids:

1. Before starting your trip check air pressure and torque lug nuts (test tow chains for strength also)
2. Be sure to shoot all tires/brakes with a temp gun to ensure they are starting cold
3. Check all fluids in tow vehicle, use only synthetics.
4. At your first traffic light, jump out and re-shoot all tires/brakes to be sure they are warming up
5. After your first 5 miles re-torque lug nuts again and check air pressure also
6. When you get to your half way point. Pull over and let the truck cool off. Re-check all fluids, shoot all tires/brakes for a pre-cool down readout.
7. Layout cardboard under the truck and trailer to see if any fluids are dripping off the rig. If you find any, be sure to identify what they are and where they came from. Sydwayz clearly forgot this step which is why his 10 year old truck failed to safely tow this boat back from the ramp.
8. After truck has cooled down, check the antifreeze ratio. Wouldn't want the truck to overheat during its towing duty.
9. Since you are half way home it is probably a good time to re-pack the bearings on the trailer so set up your orange cones at a 5 ft perimeter and put on your roadside construction crew vest, hardhat and protective eye wear. Since skin cancer is so prevalent these days, be sure to use an umbrella so you can perform your bearing re-pack in the shade.
10. Once you are done, re-shoot everything with a temp gun again just to be sure the rig has cooled and the bearing grease has warmed up enough to start the trip again.
11. Pump brakes 10 times in a row to be sure there are no fluid leaks. Check the cardboard underneath the truck/trailer.
12. Continue on the rest of your trip!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to bash the product but all you chevy guys need to check your lines if the truck in salt use areas. Chevy even came up with a kit to replace them all they have seen so many blow out from rust.

Seems to be 8-10 years is the prime time for failure. My Chevy store does several a month.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM had problems with all lines on 1999 to mid 2000 light duty trucks. I have an '01 suburban with 8.1 and have had to replace all brake lines and trans cooler lines at under 100,000 miles. GM should have given some financial assistance to owners in my mind.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:23 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

We are constantly replacing Chevy pick up truck brake lines. Atleast several a month. We are a small independant shop.

We are in one of the salt use capitals of the world. Central NH.

In fact, brake lines on these trucks are one thing - rocker panels and frames are another high attack area. Most of our 2003 and older trucks (Chevy) are off to the junkyards already.

Sad !

Wish they did what Toyota did.

Edit in: Many fuel lines / evap lines also.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the life of me I don't know why the government doesn't mandate SS brake lines. Had one fail pulling the SCARAB.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Fords rubber/plastic coated brake lines last very, very long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.