Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home >

Build Thread - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home

Notices

Build Thread - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home

Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Thread - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home

I have posted this on a few other sites trying to get as much info from people who have done something like this.
If anyone has done such a project your input is very welcome or if your thinking about doing such a thing subscribe to this thread.

I have googled countless internet pages on "Uhaul to RV conversion" and figured a fleet maintained Uhaul would make a great hauler/RV camper for towing from race to race. I really would have liked to buy a older NASCAR Rig and put the boat inside with a custom built tilt-trailer. But she would have taken up a good chunk of my driveway so the smaller size will have to do for now.

FIRST: This build will most likely take a few months, if not more. I only have 1 day a week to work on it, so sorry if the progress is to slow..

This will be used for Motocross and to Tow my boat to and from the races.

I would like something that will sleep 3, have a small restroom (or closet) dinner and comfortable.
The back needs to have lots of storage and still have a wide enough floor space to hold a larger 4x4 ATV that will be used to tow the boat around the pits and to a from the crane area.

Now the donor Vehicle - (2K)
Ford 1999 E350 Uhaul (std. 200k)
Engine - V10 (runs strong, shifts strong)
Body - 14ft Box with 3ft "attic" and the body has no rust.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547474[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-01.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Racer
Racer

I want the "Hauler" to look like a RV, not a work truck. Once the conversion is finished I can register it as a RV, but I want it to look like a RV, not a old Uhaul. Plus I don't want the Police messing with me, if your towing a race boat they say your a race team.. and the truck must be registered as a commercial vehicle cost much more for plates $$

I have 4 basic color / graphic ideas I designed at work. All are cheap (500-600) , use standard vinyl and can be cut and installed at home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547475[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547477[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547478[/ATTACH]

#3 or 4 is what I'm leaning towards - Simple designs that look pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-orange-0-1.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-red-01.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-silver-01.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-tan-01.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Racer
Racer

The inside is laid out to scale, or really close.. The rear shop area will hold a 4x4 ATV that's used to tow the boat from the pits to the crane.
Storage is the key, I need enough room to carry all my spare parts, tools, radios, intercoms.. all that crap.

The attic will sleep 1, the dinette / sleeper can sleep 1 (or 2) and I'll have a fold down bunk above the dinette that will sleep another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547479[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547480[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547482[/ATTACH]

I like this clean industrial look, but I'll go with Black / gray.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547484[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547485[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547486[/ATTACH]

For the front 2x3ft shower / toilet combo area I found these little marine units. II'll rough in the space and prep-it, but I wont go buy one till I'm sure I'll need it as most sites have facility's.,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547488[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-layout01.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-layout02.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-03d.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-03e.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea1.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea2.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea3.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea4.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea5.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-idea6.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Racer
Racer

step one was removing all the aluminum channel and rubber bumpers that protect your stuff during a move.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547490[/ATTACH]

I than found some really thick and cool "coin" rubber flooring that was cut and placed over the whole floor.
I know Home Depot sells a diamond plate rubber floor, but I saw this is a NASCAR rig and liked the looks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547491[/ATTACH]

I than installed the ceiling in the lounge area with a 1/2" insulation board under the sheet of shinny white plastic board.
Than we build the rough wall in place bolted to the floor and screwed to the walls and ceiling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547493[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547494[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547493[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547495[/ATTACH]

Now that the front is built out I finished off the inside of the restroom (closet) area.
I used a PVC decorative panel and the prefabricated trim pieces with a 24" doorway *(yes its small)

Most race sites have bathrooms, so I wont be installing the shower/toilet unit until I think its needed. Until
then I'll just use this space as a closet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547497[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547498[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-04.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-07.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-13.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-10.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-12.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-21.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van20.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Racer
Racer

Now the fun part, enclosing the "lounge" - sure makes this small space feel even smaller.
But maybe that will change when the windows are cut in.

I used a thin insulation board to bring the walls out flush with the upper and lower aluminum tracking.
I than covered it with 1/4 OSB. I was not sure if someone might lean into the wall panel and push into
the foam so the 1/4 OSB gave it a little more strength.

I personally think any insulation is not needed, but I needed to raise the wall surface out
3/4 so its lighter than 3/4 plywood

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547499[/ATTACH]

I also started pre-wiring - I'll run a 220 to the back shop area and a few 110v lines up front.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547500[/ATTACH]

For the passenger side rear I'm using black garage cabinets that are supposed to take the hot / cold weather change
without pealing or warping. I just needed to build up the base to fit over the wheel well. I'll cap the top with a stainless
counter and use this wall space to mount spare props to the wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547502[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]547503[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-18.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-17.jpg   Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-19.jpg  

Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-22.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Cool project
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Awesome, me likey.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Racer
Racer

This is a little teaser of the trim going around the toe kicks, cabinets and counters. My wife actually suggested that I weld, grind and finish each corner so they are completely seamless.. .. way to O.C.D. for me

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547561[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread  - Ford E350 Uhaul to Race Hauler conversion / Totter Home-van-24.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Nice !

A couple million years ago, when younger, we would get these and go redneck. Gut the inside of box, find someone remodiling a kitchen, and hang what we could (cupboards aand counters) inside. Made a great race car hauler on a budget.

Yours will be much nicer !

Cool project !
Old 11-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 74 Posts

this is real cool! dont forget some fancy american forces

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.