Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any thing special I need to know about pulling a boat through, IL, IN, OH ? >

Any thing special I need to know about pulling a boat through, IL, IN, OH ?

Notices

Any thing special I need to know about pulling a boat through, IL, IN, OH ?

Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Can't add much to the best route to take and forgive the steer to off topic, but the easy pass question has always puzzled me. If you don't stop at the toll booth when trailering a boat whether tandem or triple
and drive through the express easy pass lanes ..........are they not picking up the trailer behind the truck???.......... or is aganst the law to bypass manned toll booth's when towing a trailered boat??
I'll tell you my experience with that.

We were towing my Father's 27 Wellcraft Coastal back from Connecticut and the beam is close to 10'. ironically the boat looks much bigger behind my truck than my boat.

I went through the "Express" because I didn't want to risk stopping and have an astute toll operator notice that we were over width. About a month later my mother called and asked why my father had hundreds of dollars of fines & tolls on his EZ Pass account. Needless to say, somehow they knew how many axles we had and we got nailed for it.

BUT - it was cheaper than paying an overwidth ticket.

Last edited by seafordguy; 11-13-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Iccdppl- Love the new Avatar.... now what was the question....
Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run the turnpike in Ohio, you'll have to go way south to bypass it on a decent road, most others are 2 lanes and you'll end up stuck behind some slow idiot. Do not speed on the turnpike, 77 is fine, over that and they will get you, one of the million on that road. 80/90 through Indiana is smooth as well along with no other good route. All the other east/west roads are littered with stop lights. Dipping down to Indy will cost you way more than 1 hr, your GPS is wrong and 465 SUCKS along with 65. No offense to the Illinois brethren here, but 65 is a corridor from Indy to Chicago and the Chicago drivers eff it up. Run 80 to 294, suck it up with the tolls, it's faster and no one will pay attention to your trailer. I travel that route a lot. I'm all over from Joliet to Cleveland, down to Dayton, etc... The tollway will save you multiple hours.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I got a flat on a front axle just before a toll booth one day, pulled over took it off, rolled through the booth and when they asked how many axles "2 on the ground!" Lol
Old 11-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the 39 to 74 route. I 90 is under construction from Elgin all the way to the 294 that plus 39 is no tolls and the first big city you hit will be Indy. I live 10 miles from the I-80 I-57 interchange and Thursday morning it took me 2 1/2 hours to get just north of Ohare Airport. (55 Miles). If you can bypass Chiraq do it.