Notices

Trailer tires

Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Maxxis.

I kept blowing out and eating up tires on my trailer.
I looked into upgrading to 16" like a couple of my friends but the cost to upgrade my trailer to 16" rims was going to be more than the trailer was worth. (new axles, fenders, reset bunks)
After lots of research I bought the Maxxis E rated and have to say that so far they have been perfect. Trailered down to Florida and they ran flawlessly. Never got warm, stiff sidewalls, tracked true and straight. Very happy so far,
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxis-TL157...FUt-8u&vxp=mtr
Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

None! They all suck! But next time I need new ones I'm trying Maxxis. Last summer I had a blow out on the highway on a Chinese made tire that was less than a year old. I upgraded to LRE on 15" rims. The source of my blowout was one of two things: my wife hit the curb with that tire, or it was a flaw in the mfg process.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like Maxxis is pretty popular, I will have to check them out.
I run Loadstar Karrier H/D Load Range F on my 47 Fountain trailer, they are a beast. Several 7hr trips to LOTO and never had a problem. They are an upgrade on my Manning trailer when I bought it. They are a bit pricy but that extra $40.00 don't mean squat when you are sitting on the side of the road with a blow out & trailer damage.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ozarkdevil
Sounds like Maxxis is pretty popular, I will have to check them out.
I run Loadstar Karrier H/D Load Range F on my 47 Fountain trailer, they are a beast. Several 7hr trips to LOTO and never had a problem. They are an upgrade on my Manning trailer when I bought it. They are a bit pricy but that extra $40.00 don't mean squat when you are sitting on the side of the road with a blow out & trailer damage.
Interesting!
I did not know that tire existed. Just to confirm, you are running the 235/85/16 tire, correct?
http://specialty.kendatire.com/en-us...er/karrier-hd/
I have to imagine they are really, really heavy. What weight rating are your axles? 2 tires per axle, or dually axles?
7000lbs or better, I assume? I don't think the bearings of any lighter axles would be able to handle them long term.

If they are working for you, I would not downgrade to an E-rated Maxxis or whatever.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 or 5 year old Maxxis had 4 of the 6 break belts sitting over the winter... Not sure it matters what brand
Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It was suggested in a thread that since trailer tires usually fail from age and not from the miles put on them that you should get the same size tired on the truck and trailer. That way you can take them off the truck and put them on the trailer when you replace the truck tires. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bck
It was suggested in a thread that since trailer tires usually fail from age and not from the miles put on them that you should get the same size tired on the truck and trailer. That way you can take them off the truck and put them on the trailer when you replace the truck tires. Any thoughts on this?
I did exactly this.
I bought and ran 6 Goodyear Wrangler HTs for my DRW Ford for about 12 months or so, knowing I was going to upgrade to 19.5s at some point.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...s-specs#Specs6
235/85/16, E-rated

Unfortunately, they were HORRIBLE, and I mean the WORST tire, ever for my truck. I ran them for a year, but I jacked up the pressure and suffered through it. I literally hated every mile, and felt like I was driving on wet spaghetti all the time.

I only bought those exact tires because they were the original tires on my Myco, and they had lasted for about 8 seasons or so; with absolutely NO issues, and lots of towing.

After 1 year on my truck, I moved them over to the trailer wheels and stuck them on the Myco. They've been on there for a couple years now, and they have been a great trailer tire for me.

Next go around though, I may put the same on the trailer, or may go with Firestone TransForce HT; which is what Myco was shipping on new trailers last time I checked.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-01-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So that might actually be a good option, but you weren't happy with the particular brand you tried it with?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bck
So that might actually be a good option, but you weren't happy with the particular brand you tried it with?
Exactly, I'll never buy another Goodyear tire for a truck or car again. Trailer, maybe.
That was my second try running Goodyear tires on a truck, and I'm not going for a third.

Firestone TransForce HT would be my choice if I was going to run them on the truck, and then trailer...
...more than likely.
http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/t.../transforce-ht

Unless you have a dually with 16" wheels, this may not pan out for you though.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.