Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub? >

When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub?

Notices

When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default When do "you" stop pumping grease in hub?

As the title states, When do you stop?
After it pushes through the outer bearing or till if fills up the dust cap.
(I have spindle lube torsion axles)

Why I ask... I am in the process changing all bearings and ended up changing all wheel cylinders b/c the bleed screw was rusted off.

As I pumped them back with grease, I let it collect till you can't see the bearing, but usually pump it till it almost comes out the dust cap, then put the lil rubber insert back in.

?

Oh... I bought this lil pneumatic brake fluid pump from HF and it works pretty good!! It comes with a fill bottle you put in the master cylinder to keep it full and you put the pump on the bleed screw and pull the trigger! It sucks the fluid through the line and then you just close the bleed.. Voila... You sucked all the air out!

Last edited by nailit; 02-22-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have the same type of axles. I fill till the dust cap is about 1/2 full and never had an issue.
Basically fills around the outer area of the dust cap, but not the center area where the zerk is.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

On a fresh bearing install, I pump until I see grease coming out 360 degrees around the outer bearing.
Then I take the first trip, of at least 25 miles or so, and check again.

Remember, pumping too much grease in there is just as bad as too little.
When you are pumping in too much (especially) dense, cold grease; it will push out the inner bearing seal.

As far as the dust cap, when I am topping off the grease, I just want to see movement of grease 'somewhere' out the front of the bearing. I don't want to have the dust cap packed with grease, as all it's going to do is squirt out when it gets hot. The only thing the grease in the dust cap is doing is keeping the outer bearing dry from water that squeaks in.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
On a fresh bearing install, I pump until I see grease coming out 360 degrees around the outer bearing.
Then I take the first trip, of at least 25 miles or so, and check again.

Remember, pumping too much grease in there is just as bad as too little.
When you are pumping in too much (especially) dense, cold grease; it will push out the inner bearing seal.

As far as the dust cap, when I am topping off the grease, I just want to see movement of grease 'somewhere' out the front of the bearing. I don't want to have the dust cap packed with grease, as all it's going to do is squirt out when it gets hot. The only thing the grease in the dust cap is doing is keeping the outer bearing dry from water that squeaks in.
Thanks guys.. That's kind of where I was leaning, just didn't know if grease keeps coming out while driving.

As for cold... It was 76 this weekend and next looks good too! :-)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

On a new install I do use a thing that I put the bearings in and it pumps the grease through the rollers. In the old days we used to pack them by hand but same idea. This is before you put the bearings on the hub.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
On a new install I do use a thing that I put the bearings in and it pumps the grease through the rollers. In the old days we used to pack them by hand but same idea. This is before you put the bearings on the hub.
Bearing packer:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...dFAhoCDsjw_wcB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aiQGD9Fd4 I too use a Bearing Packer every time when packing new bearings.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Oh... I bought this lil pneumatic brake fluid pump from HF and it works pretty good!! It comes with a fill bottle you put in the master cylinder to keep it full and you put the pump on the bleed screw and pull the trigger! It sucks the fluid through the line and then you just close the bleed.. Voila... You sucked all the air out!
nailit.........Just did some work on my tandem trailer that requires bleeding all the brakes again. Always a hassle doing it alone, but the pump looks lke a one man show. Can you tell me the model pump u used?....Scippy
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
nailit.........Just did some work on my tandem trailer that requires bleeding all the brakes again. Always a hassle doing it alone, but the pump looks lke a one man show. Can you tell me the model pump u used?....Scippy
It's was a harbor Freight pneumatic bleeder kit. Only have 1, others are hand pump..

Regarding packing, I usually pack by hand, but I did read with spindle lube, it's not necessary b/c the grease comes from the back. I did try it and of course it works, but I also spin the wheel the entire time I am pumping grease to help NOT blow out the seal in the back.
The holes is actually between the seal and the inner bearing. Never really looked until this time.. 1 lil hole.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If not a new install, I would keep pumping until all the old, dirty grease was pumped out. I would basically change the grease and as I recall it would take about 1/2 a tube per wheel. I would also spin the wheel while "changing" the grease and keep wiping the old away with shop rags until it new fresh grease.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good video from Dexter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0RKDGgDm8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.