Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What I saw this weekend: Escalade towing monster boat on hwy! >

What I saw this weekend: Escalade towing monster boat on hwy!

Notices

What I saw this weekend: Escalade towing monster boat on hwy!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its possible it was there or maybe in Mississippi. It was either 04 or 05 when I was down there doing cleanup work after either Hurricane Ivan or Katrina. Saw a bunch of scary stuff on the roads due to people hustling to either make a buck or simply help clean up.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by erik1976
I know a guy that towed a 36 Nortech cat from Florida to Canada with an 07 Escalade, crazy....
nah.....the cat packed air in the tunnel and it was way lighter once you hit 80 mph!
Old 07-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

This past weekend,I was sitting at a traffic light waiting to turn right. There was a guy in a Grand Cherokee towing a big (WAY oversized) Cobalt off the off-ramp and into town town. Traffic lights changed and he skidded through the red out into traffic.

When a passerby yelled him to get a real truck to pull THAT boat - he told the guy to go f'k himself - his jeep is a hemi....( pulls fine but obviously takes a mile to stop)...also looked like a hack jumper harness for the lights from the vehicle to the trailers 7 pin b/c I didn't see any indication of a trailer brake
Old 07-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

How many guys use a WDH with their boat? I've never seen one. Only on travel trailers.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
How many guys use a WDH with their boat? I've never seen one. Only on travel trailers.
I used to. There are threads on such in the past.
After my personal experience, I’d only consider doing such again with EOH brakes.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

This short wheel base was an interesting tow package for a 32' Sleekcraft.... In town, making a turn..... The boat wanted to keep going straight, as I turned. The rear tires chirped a few times.. ( I tried to keep the saddle tank/fuel full for weight on the axles )

I swore I was doing a drifting maneuver a few times to avoid the curb!!!

Last edited by mountie; 07-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Many moons ago when we we were still into jetskiis (pre boating days) we watched a guy pull a 38' cig with a jeep grand cherokee! I wanna say say this was circa 1997/98 ish.....needless to say i was actually shocked at the power the truck had to pull the boat out with but watchign the truck weighed down with headlight aiming to the sky we were all expecting to see a roll over crash on the highway going home...we didnt and can only guess he took side streets or was pulled over somewhere waiting for a tow after the trans blew up!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Registered

Ya know about that TV show, " Highway Through Hell " ??
I was one of them..... I went down that infamous grade....
15 plus years ago, I was returning from an F1 tunnel boat race at Saskatoon, Canada. Headed to Seattle to get the Merc powerheads refreshed.
Leaving from southern Calif, stopping at the Seabold race shop in St. Louis area, then up to Canada, ..... once in a while I heard a knocking sound... then it went away.
After the Saskatoon race, I went on the Canadian hwy to British Columbia.( Still hearing a weird knock from time to time). Getting near a rest stop, just before a grade ( truckers warned me about a steep grade ahead - get your brakes cool first)..... Well..... approaching the grade.... Uh...... quite a drop-off......

I set my gear..... nice and slow...... in no hurry....... Uh,....... the truck started to get in a hurry.... ( was that sign really saying a 9% grade ???? )....
I did not know the grade was for ....uh..... 8 miles???

As I slowly drove down.... I started to wonder how my brakes will hold up.....
((((( single rear axle air brakes..... & ... silly electric button-push trailer brakes.....))))) That was it... NO jake brake.... No electric drive shaft brake...... Nothing....

I was at 28 mph...... 30 mph....... 35 mph....... steep grade........ KA-BOOM !!!! You know that funny knock???? ROD KNOCK.....
I just threw a rod through the block !!!!!
Guess what..... I have air brakes....... But NOT ANYMORE..... I am officially on a roller coaster ride !!!! Uh..... Oh CRAP !!!!

I had 30 seconds to decide how to save this rig, or jump out !!!! I had no way to slow down !!!
( Flash....... NASCAR...... There is a cement wall on the edge of the road...... I steered next to the cement wall... HARD turn right...... Front tire edge rubs the wall....

200 feet later I came to a stop. No damage.. ( Except for the chrome lug nut covers destroyed on right-front wheel)...

I got out..... an oil slick coming from the front of the rig...... I made a phone call ( $$$$ a "brick" cell phone).....

$4,000 tow later I am in North Vancouver at the Detroit Diesel shop. I swear, GOD knew I wouldn't survive the grade..... I better stop now.....

Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 285 Likes on 176 Posts

I was behind some cat this morn doing 70+ pulling an enclosed utility trailer passing an 18-wheeler on I-35 N of Aus. Just as he got up along side the semi, the trailer started dancing side to side. Dancing rapidly turned into a violent tail whip. The back of his trailer was swinging well over the white line and just inches from hitting the semi trailer. After abt 4 violent cycles back and forth, it settled back down to persistent slow dance. After he passed the semi, he moved to the right lane and thankfully slowed down. I pulled up along side and could see the trailer suspension was pretty much bottomed out. Tires looked grossly over loaded. Fairly new F-150 rear bumper waay low and nose waay high.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Registered

besides a poor set up, passing a big rig ,.... The big rig's air will suck the Ford's trailer into the rig's trailer.