Notices

Trailer tire pressure

Old 05-11-2016, 04:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My concern is altering the contact patch and getting excessive wear from running them at such a pressure difference. I know I've negatively impacted wear on wider car tires with different pressures.

Last edited by bck; 05-11-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dmax calls for 60 psi in the front, and 80 psi in the rear tires. Just drop it down to match the front.

I never do, however, because i'm lazy.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
My dmax calls for 60 psi in the front, and 80 psi in the rear tires. Just drop it down to match the front.

The reverse happens around here. Most trucks get used as trucks. People lazy out and don't inflate them back up when they really need to.

I have seen no increased wear...but your mileage will vary. I do however see more ball joint wear and etc with inflated up tires, but again, you'd schit if you saw the roads in my area of town....and some mountain road short cuts we take a lot.

Oh, and bringing the pressure down unloaded will also help braking and turning when hitting bumps. Big difference.

I can't stand the ride of a stiff truck....those days are long gone for me...thus why have had Chevy's predominently for a long time.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income

The reverse happens around here. Most trucks get used as trucks. People lazy out and don't inflate them back up when they really need to.

I have seen no increased wear...but your mileage will vary. I do however see more ball joint wear and etc with inflated up tires, but again, you'd schit if you saw the roads in my area of town....and some mountain road short cuts we take a lot.

Oh, and bringing the pressure down unloaded will also help braking and turning when hitting bumps. Also dramatically in rain, snow, mud, and dirt. Big difference.

I can't stand the ride of a stiff truck....those days are long gone for me...thus why have had Chevy's predominently for a long time.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Slightly related question. When your 3/4 truck is not loaded/ towing can you run lower pressures just to improve the ride?
Yes you can. If you have a diesel I would be careful on lowering the front lots of weight up there. My 2015 3/4 Dmax calls for 60 in the front and 75 in the rear. For 8 months out of the year I rarely have a significant load on. So I run 55 in the front and 65 in the rear.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the old ford engineer for explorer is now doing spec for trailer companies