Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250... >

Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...

Notices

Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
this was a handful and I wished I had a dually
Originally Posted by Chart
Fair enough, but part of the reason was that trailer is too small for the boat. Look how much is hanging behind the bunks. Hard on the boat, and increases the tail-wagging potential of the rig. The engine weight is a couple three feet further back than it should be.
Exactly! That and the short wheelbase truck doesn't help. A crew cab long bed would have helped a little bit, but that trailer setup is downright dangerous. My bet is a dually would have been pushed around by that thing too.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
...Do you have a hitch on the bug to pull the trailer in local parades and such? That would make a nice statement about Breast Cancer Research. Might even save a life if it causes a woman to get checked who might not otherwise.
The bug is a 4 banger turbo, manual; and I don't even trust it to stop itself, much less the trailer.
We've considered it, and always get asked the "does the bug tow it?" when they are parked together, but that is rare. She's headed off to a "Glamper" vintage camper rally this weekend.
I already have something else 'of better vintage' to tow it with in the fall festival/parade we always attend.. As soon as it gets out of the body and exhaust shop, hopefully this week, I'll put a thread up about my new acquisition. Hint: it has a 460.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-08-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All my boat insurance made me sign a document that my tow vehicle was rated high enough to tow my boat and this is for my own good in case of an accident.
Rich
Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD CUNY
Hi All my boat insurance made me sign a document that my tow vehicle was rated high enough to tow my boat and this is for my own good in case of an accident.
Rich
Stacey from Wakezone mentioned this in one of the insurance threads......boat would only be covered if towed properly, legally (wide load issues)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Exactly! That and the short wheelbase truck doesn't help. A crew cab long bed would have helped a little bit, but that trailer setup is downright dangerous. My bet is a dually would have been pushed around by that thing too.
yeah i towed it about 300 miles .. it wasn't that bad, never felt unsafe just it towed like crap ... the ford has heavy suspension and 10 plys on it so it's really more of a 350 than a 250... but not a dually by any means.....
Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Stacy Is my agent.
Rich
Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

No wonder those boats are so fast...OL52...10,800 lbs wow!

My boat tows like a dream compared to a similarly weighted race car trailer. It isn't even comparable the type of load that is put on the hitch. I can only imagine that a 52 foot boat would be too much for that truck. The trailer for that boat has to have some significant weight and it carries a good amount of fuel.

This reminds me of Toyota towing the space shuttle. Same thing LOL
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered

If you are one ounce over weight your insurance will tell you screw off. Get the right truck for your boat. Weight it at the truck stop to make sure and get a gooseneck trailer. You will be glad you did.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Registered

Question:

Assuming you have the right truck (F550 for example), the overall trailer length is probably what, 70'? (with the neck, etc). So you now have a 70' trailer, 16,000 lbs (with trailer).

You can't exactly just hook it up and run it down to the harbor, you would have to have a permit, right? I just wonder why you see SV52's in Oceanside, CA - did they trailer that boat all the way from Outerlimits on the other side of the country? I doubt they went boating through the Panama canal in a SV52.

I'd imagine you'd have to get a permit, and then have the perfect road path from your house to the harbor.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The first problem with your question is you asked about pulling with a ford. Look in to getting a real truck....like this
[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.