Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What is the deal with crap tires?  (MFG date code of 13) >

What is the deal with crap tires? (MFG date code of 13)

Notices

What is the deal with crap tires? (MFG date code of 13)

Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I had my boat in the driveway while cleaning it up a couple of weeks ago. Pulled out to take it back to storage, and as I was checking my mirrors, thought why in the he77 is there a turtle on my tire???

Pulled the wheel off and found this on the inner side of the tire! Whew!! Close call!

Checked the julian date on the tire - it was from 2005! Wow - I had no idea!! I was so impressed with the age, I ordered another set just like them. Goodyear Wrangler HT 235/85/R16

They're not trailer tires, but they obviously held up well for 11 years.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
1 of my Power King Towmax trailer tires lost its tread on the highway last weekend during a long haul. Another 3 were ballooning up so much the diameter had increased by 4". I put about 5K miles on them and they looked absolutely fine when I left. The date code on them was from 2012. I find it interesting how they decided to fail at the same time. Just mounted 8 new Firestone Transforce HT's so I can roll on with confidence.
The real key bit of information here, is how are your trailer/tires stored?
I put TransForce HT tires on my last trailer, and NO issues.

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
I had my boat in the driveway while cleaning it up a couple of weeks ago. Pulled out to take it back to storage, and as I was checking my mirrors, thought why in the he77 is there a turtle on my tire???

Pulled the wheel off and found this on the inner side of the tire! Whew!! Close call!

Checked the julian date on the tire - it was from 2005! Wow - I had no idea!! I was so impressed with the age, I ordered another set just like them. Goodyear Wrangler HT 235/85/R16

They're not trailer tires, but they obviously held up well for 11 years.

I ran the Goodyear Wrangler HTs on my dually for about 18 months, and HATED them for a truck tire. It was like driving on wet spaghetti.
BUT part of my process was I bought them to hold me over until I upgraded to bigger wheels/tires on the truck, and then I moved the same tires off the truck and put them on my Myco, replacing the original tires that were roughly 9 years old, also Goodyear Wrangler HTs.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I run bias-ply tires on a three axle trailer, easier on trailer in tight turns and more durable. They run the same temperature as my radial truck tires at 75mph.

http://www.tires-easy.com/8.25-15/po...tirecode/AQP41.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The real key bit of information here, is how are your trailer/tires stored?
I put TransForce HT tires on my last trailer, and NO issues.
My trailer is up on jack stands in a heated shop all winter.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My trailer is up on jack stands in a heated shop all winter.
And summer?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm changing everything to 17.5" 215's are the same diameter as 245-16's. Load rated H. SOOOO tired of absolute crap 16's. Marathons,Carlisle Trailer service only crap crap. When a tire blows I don't even flinch anymore. New 17.5's so far so good!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
And summer?
Still in the shop, but on the ground. I trailer 100 miles round trip every time I visit my home waters.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Still in the shop, but on the ground. I trailer 100 miles round trip every time I visit my home waters.
You should be good with the better brand tires then. I can't say what was contributing to your Power Kings coming apart, but the tires on my former McClain trailer were Power Kings which also started to fail in succession, and I went with the Firestones.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I just got home from a trip from PA to VA. I blew 3 tires within 100 miles! 225/75R15 LRE Tow Master tires. The tread totally separated. Replaced with the only ones the shop had, Super Cargo. Ended up puncturing one of them cause a screw was sticking out of the fender from the previous blow out. So sick of trailers and tires!! I picked up 2 Carlise HD for spares because again, that's what the shop had and I was in a pinch. I store my trailer on jack stands in the winter and the driveway in the summer with the tires covered from the sun. Gonna also check my axle alignment since the tires overheated and separated.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
Pulled out to take it back to storage, and as I was checking my mirrors, thought why in the he77 is there a turtle on my tire???
Spit my coffee ! Lots of turtles around here.