Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer >

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Notices

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Old 08-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by wfo1
We have built hitches that hinge up and removable hitches on heavier trailers than your boat. I would probably make it hinge instead of removing it do to the weight of the hitch. On my personal boat I just cut the tongue down and moved the boat forward when I went to EOH brakes. Ended up removing like 30" of total length, but I am not sure how much you need to gain.
Have any pictures of what you have done that you mention? I figured it could be done.

As far as moving boat forward, I don't want to do that. 1) trailer has real nice balance to it now, that would add to much tongue weight as far as I need to move it. 2 ) I have a twin step hull with all custom welded bunks. That would be a ton of cutting and welding to move it all forward......far more work than making the swing tongue. 3) moving the axles would require a ton of work to moving fenders, step pads, all nice and welded. It is a Manning trailer after all. Very well built.

Definitely not in the budget to buy a whole new trailer either. If I had that much Id just build the dang barn it needs! Haha
Old 08-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would cut the tongue back as far as you need to and make it a flange connection using some heavy plates and large diameter grade 8 bolts. It can be done safely but its not a task to take lightly. Ideally, it would be nice to have an idea of the shear and moment forces involved so you can determine the best thickness plate for the flanges and the number and size of the bolts. Another thing to consider is the effective area of the welds joining those plates to the frame. There needs to be enough "glue" to stick them on!

Oh and let a certified welder handle the welding!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

So look at that picture.... Think about what you see/ Whats holding that actuator on the trailer? A couple bolts, most likely zinc plated grade 5 or worse by the looks of it. Thats all thats holding it together.

That entire trailer is pulled by your hitch, held into your receiver by a pin.

So making a removable tongue or a swing way tongue really shouldn't be all that difficult.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how I solved the problem. A removable extension five feet in length. The extension is made of tubing 5 inches x 3 inches. The end plates are one inch thick, gusseted and attached to the trailer and coupler with eight bolts at each end. It takes two people to remove for inside storage.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer-img_1249.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 05:39 AM
Registered

Double post

Last edited by wfo1; 08-05-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Have any pictures of what you have done that you mention? I figured it could be done.

As far as moving boat forward, I don't want to do that. 1) trailer has real nice balance to it now, that would add to much tongue weight as far as I need to move it. 2 ) I have a twin step hull with all custom welded bunks. That would be a ton of cutting and welding to move it all forward......far more work than making the swing tongue. 3) moving the axles would require a ton of work to moving fenders, step pads, all nice and welded. It is a Manning trailer after all. Very well built.

Definitely not in the budget to buy a whole new trailer either. If I had that much Id just build the dang barn it needs! Haha
I believe I have a trailer with a hinged hitch at the shop that I can take a pic of. Pm me your email address and I'll send it to you. Posting pics is a pain in the ash as a non paying member.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle

So look at that picture.... Think about what you see/ Whats holding that actuator on the trailer? A couple bolts, most likely zinc plated grade 5 or worse by the looks of it. Thats all thats holding it together.

That entire trailer is pulled by your hitch, held into your receiver by a pin.

So making a removable tongue or a swing way tongue really shouldn't be all that difficult.
EXACTLY! Held on by 3 bolts. Not even Grade 8! My pintle hitch rated at 16000 lbs bolts to the backing plate by 4 alloy bolts. I have no doubt what I build will be plenty strong enough. I'm the over engineered type and nothing exceeds like excess!

Originally Posted by Barrydet
This is how I solved the problem. A removable extension five feet in length. The extension is made of tubing 5 inches x 3 inches. The end plates are one inch thick, gusseted and attached to the trailer and coupler with eight bolts at each end. It takes two people to remove for inside storage.
Thats along the lines of the of the simpler idea in my head. Just a bit smaller flanges seeing as there will be 3 of them total. Maybe just put one hinge pin on the side of one outside flange to allow it to swing. If I did a pure pin together swing tongue, I would most likely end up with 6 pins. Two on the sides of each tube, boxing the cut end of each tube with plate steel for rigidity.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just have at it. A few years ago I did the same. I mounted 2 leg jacks further back 1 on each side. Unbolted 4 bolts that went through 3/8 plate steel. I left the front jack in place with the wheel to support the weight of the hinged front section. While swinging it to the side. I also added 2 drop legs at the back corners. And with the 2 jacks in the front. It became a very stable work platform also. Even without the bow stop on while in the garage. I looked for pictures. They must be on a old PC. I will post if I find them.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Post pictures of your heart rate the second you hit the trailer with the sawzaw! LOL
Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I shortened the tongue on my 382 trailer permanently. Never had a issue. Rear axles are so far underwater truck was never wet. I've seen crazy long trailer tongues that are completely unnecessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.