Notices

Ford Triton spark plug issues??

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 piece spark plug - Ford lost a class action lawsuit over this - some shops wont touch them, local Ford dealer was charging some ridiculous amount to change them. They can break in a couple different ways upon removal, and there are different kits to extract pieces depending on how plug breaks. I believe book time is some where around three hours. Do not use the Champion 1 piece replacement plug.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that's my worry..It's a mint truck - just physically had a look at it this afternoon...I dealt with owner's son so he wasnt sure on the maintenance..They bought it new as a family hauler and has been a garage Queen for most of it's life.

I wouldn't be hauling much with it at all..Just be a family hauler for us as well
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

my 01 Ex w 5.4 could barley tow 2 SeaDoos lol

Always shifting. Comfortable truck tho.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by paintman
And that's my worry..It's a mint truck - just physically had a look at it this afternoon...I dealt with owner's son so he wasnt sure on the maintenance..They bought it new as a family hauler and has been a garage Queen for most of it's life.

I wouldn't be hauling much with it at all..Just be a family hauler for us as well
At only 60K miles you are fine. When you get up closer to 100k the plug change gets to be a little more sketchy. You have to do the plugs sooner or later. Sooner has a higher liklihood of success.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
At only 60K miles you are fine. When you get up closer to 100k the plug change gets to be a little more sketchy. You have to do the plugs sooner or later. Sooner has a higher liklihood of success.
+1
Old 01-19-2017, 07:19 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

The modular two valve V motors used normal looking spark plugs. There were two head designs. Either type had a potential to expel a spark plug. There are several conditions that can lead to this but the main cause it the head design in the thread area. The other concern is the two cylinders right under the hood to cowl seam. They can fill with water and rust out the spark plug. This is the biggest pain to repair. The best tool and insert to permanently repair these heads are from "Time-sert" and it is the one I use. I have tried others including Ford's, my son (Ford tech) uses mine as well. Food for thought.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had an 01 5.4, no problems changing plugs. The main issue with broken plugs is in the 04-up 5.4 3-valve motors, different motor than the 01. Buy it and replace the plugs right away, with 60k you won't have a problem.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK ..You guys made me by in lol...And last question..The battery was dead so they boosted it and it blew the fuse that controls window and dash lights..Was it just to much juice for whatever reason or is there another issue. Truck was sitting for a bit hence the dead battery. Thanks fellas
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a fuse in and make sure the windows and dash lights still work. The earlier fords had a GEM module that controlled those things. I think around that time they made the instrument cluster control all the other electronics in the cab. I have my 03 F250 instrument cluster getting serviced right now. https://circuitboardmedics.com/2002-...luster-repair/ Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Soak PB Blaster around the plug seats overnite than change.

You will need an APE arms to get to the back ones....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.