Notices

454 Gasser. Meth injection?

Old 03-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have only put 20k miles on the truck, in the last 5 years. Its not a daily driver or anything like that. I use it to tow the boat, or occasional a trip to home depot and what not.

I bought it with 87k miles, it now has 108k miles. Since I have owned it, it has got

Plugs, wires, new distributor, fuel pump, fuel psi regulator. New LS injectors (one of reasons for tuning). New intake gaskets, Stewart HD water pump, HD fan clutch, 180* stat. New rotors, new drums, new hub bearings and rear bearings, new calipers, new rubber brake lines. New hoses, new belts. New tires. New pitman arm. New shocks. New starter, new battery. New headlamp and park lamp assemblies. New A/C lines. Added Autometer trans temperature gauge and HD derale transmission cooler with its own fan. Removed stock hitch, for a class V curt hitch. Replaced stock muffler, with a Magnaflow. Only thing it NEEDED, was a fuel pump. That crapped out on me. Other than that, the rest was preventative. Removed the overload leaf spring stops from the frame. That really made it ride better on the bumpy illinois roads.

Have a set of stainless Edelbrock Shorty TES headers, that have been sitting here a long time. Just never got around to putting them on. Its pulled the boat from Chicago to loto several times, about 1000 mile round trip, Traverse city Mi, and locally. Pulls good, stops good, and stable. Best thing I did was modify the proportioning valve in the brakes. Stock, the rear braking sucked.

Cheap to own, cheap to insure, easy to repair, and best part, no monthly payment for something I rarely drive. I'd love a new Chevy/GMC 1 ton , they are awesome. But the 70 grand price tag, eh. I'd rather burn that money in boat gas.
Attached Thumbnails 454 Gasser. Meth injection?-256x256_fit_one_bestfit-copy-506-.jpg  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 03-05-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

joe,your old stock injectors are still working good in my buddy,s 96 one ton dually plow truck.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
joe,your old stock injectors are still working good in my buddy,s 96 one ton dually plow truck.
Nice. He couldnt beat the price on them.

Only real reason I swapped to the LS injectors, was in case I added headers, a tune, etc. I believe the stock 454 vortec injectors, had a very high duty cycle as it was , stock.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Your long term and short term fuel trim's good ? ie: not + or - a big % ?
Im gonna do another log on those tomorrow. I will report back
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon build up will cause the computer to retard timing due to small amounts of spark knock picked up by the knock sensor. One of the easiest ways to cure the issue is to get a quality fuel flush that works off compressed air
then disable the vehicle fuel system and run a good cleaner through the fuel system. Snap on has a nice set up for this and dealers normally keep the flush additive on their trucks. It will clean carbon build up off the valves, combustion chamber and your timing will come back. I didn't believe it would work until I tried it, but sure enough my snap on dealer wasn't blowing smoke.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Registered

https://store.snapon.com/General-Pur...n-P648382.aspx
Old 03-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Registered

Besides meth can be some bad stuff. If your truck uses it, you will start to find the truck on street corners. The truck will have track marks of oil everywhere and the flywheel teeth will start to fall out.

Last edited by Brandonb_05; 03-06-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Registered

You got my wheels turning on the carbon buildup. I may try the decarbonizing route. If still getting knock, try 93 octane.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

When I was looking at it for the boat you had to tune for it , seems like it`s really not bolt on mod and with the inability for easy tuning options on that truck you could be opening a can of worms and extra work.

Seafoam that thing , maybe it`s carbon.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

years ago an old timer told me an easy way to clean the carbon out of a combustion chaimber,hold the rpm,s to 3500 and pour water down the intake till the engine is almost ready to die,keep at it until you go through a half gallon of water,believe it or not,it works.if you pull the spark plug and look in with a bore scope it looks like it got steam cleaned.joe,when the guy reprogrammed your computer did he set it up somewhat rich or lean?i think gm sets it up on the lean side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.