Notices

Trailer tire recommendations?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trailer tire recommendations?

Have to replace the tires on my Myco triple axle trailer. It's sitting under a 47 Fountain, boat and trailer close to 20,000 lbs. Current tires on there are Goodyear G614 RST (LT235/85R16), 14-Ply, Load Rating - G. Axles are 7,000 lb rated and rims are rated for 110 psi.

The GY's are expensive tires so I'm looking for some possible alternatives. I do not tow the boat often, less than 1,000 / miles a year but typically not even close to that. Obviously, the cost and inconvenience of a breakdown is far worse than the cost of the GY's, but I'd like to see what else might be OK for the type of usage I do.

Last year, I blew a tire on the road and had to take what was available at the time and that was a Samson GL285T (ST235/85R16) 14-ply, Load Rating G. So, one obvious choice would be to buy five more Samson tires to match the one I have but I don't know much about them. Secondly, Myco specifically says to use LT tires instead of ST tires, but I really didn't get a clear reason as to why.

In doing some research, I came across Sailun S637 tires, while chinese, supposedly met the same certifications as the Goodyears and were getting good reviews on RV forums.

Any opinions / experience with Samson or Sailun tires? Thoughts on ST versus LT tires for my rig? Any other options?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Did the trailer originally come with G-rated tires from Myco?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did the trailer originally come with G-rated tires from Myco?
Yes, the tires I listed in the original post are the tires that the trailer came with.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

i got the gladiator 14 plys, half the price of goodyears
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Member NASCAT has had good luck running Gooyear G-rated tires. Personally, I think they are a bit heavy for some axles to handle, but if that was original spec; go with them...
...especially under 47' of Fountain.

I have no personal experience with Gladiator or the Goodyear G-rated tires; but do trust Rob's input on the Gladiators above.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
i got the gladiator 14 plys, half the price of goodyears
And? What has been your experience? How long / how many miles on them ? How much weight riding on them?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Jriggs and I are both running these under our 47's. They are a far better value than the goodyears, and so far have held up great. I've never had a trailer tire wear out, they always just age. I have no complaints, and we have both towed several thousand miles each with no problems. They are also rated about 200 lbs higher per tire than the goodyears.

https://simpletire.com/kenda-st235-8...2358516f-tires

-Artie
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I've used multiple "off brand" tires commercially hauling more weight than your fountain on triple 7k axles.....If you must go off brand than

Definitely stay with trailer tires
At least use 14ply G Load range or higher
The Sailun S637 has been the best "off brand", all steel, very heavy duty.
Better upgrade bearings and seals, and repack and replace more often, because the HD tires wear them out faster.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, my Manning came with Loadstar Karrier E rated tires. Now, to be honest I did spec a tandem trailer when I had Manning build it, by choice, not to save $500. I was nervous about the Chinese tires and questioned Manning about upgrading tires, even though they were rated to carry much more than my total load. Unfortunately they quoted me an additional $1000 to upgrade 4 tires, basically giving me nothing for their new stock tires. They also said (just like a car dealer), they have never had an issue with these tires, you'll be fine. I reluctantly decided to go with Loadstars. What a mistake! Blown tires, destroyed fenders, nothing but trouble! I know the original thread is about G rated tires, and that's what I switched to, Goodyear G614. I can't speak for other lower priced G series tires, but the Goodyears have been flawless.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Sailun 637s on a 32 enclosed car trailer that I just towed 6k miles across the country and back. Trailer was over 12k pounds the entire way. Didn't have a single problem. They didn't even look loaded, never got warm. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on your trailer.

The alternative would be firestone trans force ht LT tires. I think that's what Myco puts on their trailers now. The reason Myco recommends these are because the LT tires are built much, much better than ST tires. Look how many ST tires have blowouts, now how many LT tires on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups have spontaneous blowouts? Hell, I have tiny passenger car tires on my boat trailer that are always at their max load, never had a single issue.

Last edited by ToMorrow44; 03-22-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.