Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps? >

Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?

Notices

Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm dealing with smaller boats for sure, but from my experience of picking them up anywhere from 4 to 21hrs away I've gotten good at getting then home. The more you travel far with them the more likely something will happen on the road. I take a spare hub, wheel and tire, grease, all the things needed to change them, and magnetic trailer lights. Transom straps are a must in my opinion, just like locking trailer chains imo. For the front I don't use a strap, I use a safety chain but that's just me. Then after first starting a trip and thinking everything is good I stop 20 miles in. And check the hubs for heat. If one is getting warm it gets taken apart. Then every stop I walk the trailer and check the straps and hubs. I would rather be extra safe then sorry because my boat came apart and killed someone.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Good point; forgot about that.
Laser Pyrometer (Temp Gun) is my most valuable trailer tool.

Each stop, check:
-Tires (treads and sidewalls, which will be different temps)
-Hubs
-Brakes
-Rear axle on truck
-All truck tires
-Transmission

When fueling, I'll start the pump, and then walk around with the temp gun.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Good point; forgot about that.
Laser Pyrometer (Temp Gun) is my most valuable trailer tool.

Each stop, check:
-Tires (treads and sidewalls, which will be different temps)
-Hubs
-Brakes
-Rear axle on truck
-All truck tires
-Transmission

When fueling, I'll start the pump, and then walk around with the temp gun.
Good advice here ^^^. I always check my straps too, I think the straps make a huge difference in rigidity of the package, so they serve more than just the safety purpose.

I got a couple short lengths of black rubber hose and slit them the long way. I slip them on the side of the tabs to protect them from the transom straps. It has worked well for me and I don't have to mess with towels this way. Cut a couple spares in case you forget to take them off when you remove the straps. .

I record all my tire and bearing temps each time I check them. I can't remember jack crap 5 seconds after I do it. I need records to reference, so I know if something is coming apart.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten

Now back to the hub and bearings. I asked an online question about the fitment of a hub and bearing kit on etrailers. They said I needed the axel dimension to confirm they will fit. My question is, are all 6k, 6 lug, and 12" rotor trailer axels the same or is there odd ball sizes out there? I don't want to take a hub off just to get a spare.

My trailer company over the phone would have sold me what I needed but they wanted twice as much and didn't give me a chance to ask for SN numbers. Wasn't too friendly when I mentioned etrailers prices.
E trailer has the best prices around if you ask me. I buy 95% of my trailer replacement parts form them. Great description on all their parts, and most of the time they have a short video to boot. LOL they even have a video on lug nuts. In fact box came last night from them with new leaf springs and axle U bolt kits for the boat trailer. .

I doubled checked my bearing #'s just to make sure, all fit fine on mine. 6 lug, 6K lb axels (I'm tandem axle). Id call mine normal size. Only I needed a 2.125" ID seal. The kit of drums and bearings came with 2.250". No biggie, I just ordered the right size.

Spare tires I'm with you after blowing a couple tires I now carry 2 spares. Fabed up a couple brackets out of alum I had laying around and was good to go. Plus I replaced 6 rubbers last summer. Keeping good rubber on the road is critical to the early AM starts. Sucks changing tires on the side of the road with your morning coffee.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Albeit, I've never had them installed, I am a huge fan of two spares mounted on the trailer as such. Ever since I saw Jassman's Myco setup with two spares, on opposite sides of the trailer which were installed WITH full hubs ON spindles that rotated...
...I realized that they become EXCELLENT bumpers to keep the boat centered onto the trailer when loading in a stiff wind and/or current.

Sure, if you rub one of the tires with the hull, it's going to leave a black mark; but that's better than the hull bottom hitting the trailer or outside of the winch stand. (Both of which I have seen happen with gelcoat & fiberglass damage.) I sold my Myco & AT before I had a chance to implement, but it was on my list.

No issue with how you have them installed 92NSX, but they could be a bit further aft, and a tad bit higher to be more effective how I describe above.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-27-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to order an extra hub and bearing kit as soon as I can. Called etrailes and industrial axel. They can't look up my bearing size (even with the trailer and axel VIN) so I'm going to take a hub off and get some measurements. Last time I bought bearings, I matched them up at a truck shop. I have no way to find out what I have.

I quickly realized how hard they are to find... figured tractor supply would carry them... nope.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
No issue with how you have them installed 92NSX, but they could be a bit further aft, and a tad bit higher to be more effective how I describe above.
Could go both ways. Funny because I mounted them as far forward as I could so I wouldn't rub into them.

For me and caring a extra Brake drum and bearing set I could do. But with the spindles welded / made directly into my axle, if I take out the bearings chances are it will also fubar up the spindle. So the new drum and bearings wold do me much good.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortunate enough that the previous owner ordered my trailer with two spares that include spindles, hubs and bearings. They spin freely on the trailer. I also make sure to bring grease, jack, blocks and a large 4 way lug wrench with us when traveling along with a full tool kit. Use two transom straps along with a heavy duty strap on the bow to keep the boat secure to the trailer. Definitely do not rely on the winch strap.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Have the bow and transom strapped to the trailer now. Took hub off and got all the measurements for etrailers. Order hub and bearing kit for a spare. Good thing I did, had an outer bearing bad. Not sure how I lucked into picking the hub that was about to go down.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I carry a spare hub ready to swap out, far as transom straps I bought these with my Mac Straps and have no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.