Notices

Eoh

Old 08-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Eoh

I am thinking of switching from surge to EOH. I have a few questions as I don't have any experience with this setup.

From the members here it seems the Hydrastar is the recommended unit.

How long do these units last? They offer different pressure units. Seems the 1000psi unit is for drum brakes. What is the max pressure a Kodiac disc brake setup cam handle as a 1200 and 1600psi unit is offered? What battery break away setup would you recommend?

Thanks for any help
Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I use Titan Brakerite (and have had several) - but based on my reading, I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. I never had any trouble out of Brakerite - so I'm not sure how long they last. The last one I installed myself, went for 3 years with zero maintenance - then I sold the boat/trailer. I assume it is still working fine.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have kodiak disks, and the operating psi for that is 1600, give them a call! Great people to tell you about their products. I have the Hydrastar, very impressed so far. I didn't install a brake away, waste of my time because I know the battery will never be charged
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinb230
I have kodiak disks, and the operating psi for that is 1600, give them a call! Great people to tell you about their products. I have the Hydrastar, very impressed so far. I didn't install a brake away, waste of my time because I know the battery will never be charged
This is a good point.

The Titan Brakerite will not operate with discharged batteries. Batteries charge via the parking / running lights on the truck, or I bought a charger for the winter lay up. Titan requires two 12v 5A batteries like your home security system.

Last edited by 97FASTech; 08-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Will the Hydastar work with out the batteries?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Want to convert from surge to EOH this winter. Have no problem with surge brakes, but we are going to be doing a lot of road trips up and down hills and I want to have the best braking system possible. I am looking at Hydrastar system mainly, but also checking on Titan and Dexter.

Anyone ever fill (weld) the oblong slide holes in the coupler to round for thru bolting? Don't want to weld the coupler in, if I don't have to.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut off all the coupler roller brackets, welded in pins in the coupler slots, filled all holes, and also welded the coupler solid. Ground all plugs and filler plates smooth. Then took the trailer to an autobody shop to have it painted so it looked factory. Pics are prepainted

I believe by law, you have to have a breakaway battery setup installed. My breakaway battery was always dead too do to the once a yr use and my brakes worked when connected to truck. In a breakaway situation, I mighta been outta luck at 1st until battery recharged while towing.
Attached Thumbnails Eoh-p1010137.jpg   Eoh-p1010156.jpg   Eoh-p1010158.jpg  

Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Registered

I believe a found a titan coupler that was a direct replacement for the titan 6 accuator a few months back. I should have wrote the model number down. Just looking quickly tonight this could be it. A call to titan should get the correct model. It is only about $100. To me it's not worth modifying the unit. https://www.etrailer.com/Straight-To.../T4853100.html
Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I cut off all the coupler roller brackets, welded in pins in the coupler slots, filled all holes, and also welded the coupler solid. Ground all plugs and filler plates smooth. Then took the trailer to an autobody shop to have it painted so it looked factory. Pics are prepainted

I believe by law, you have to have a breakaway battery setup installed. My breakaway battery was always dead too do to the once a yr use and my brakes worked when connected to truck. In a breakaway situation, I mighta been outta luck at 1st until battery recharged while towing.
I really like how clean yours looks now, without all the surge actuator stuff there. I have been pricing new couplers and channel mounts and they are fairly outrageous for what you get, plus you will probably have to weld it on anyway, so why not do what you did and just weld what is needed on the current coupler.

I think I am going to gut my surge actuator parts and weld a large heavy washer onto the coupler and back fill it, so I can just thru bolt it with a same size bolt instead of a pin (3/4" maybe, I can't remember) that is used now. Welds won't show and the coupler will be solid for the EOH system to be mounted. Also, want to build a platform behind the winch stand to mount everything nice and neat.

Hydrastar now makes a complete system including the actuator (Marine), CAM, Breakaway kit w/battery included and all the wiring, which is plug and play. It's all Deutsch connectors, basically a fool proof installation. No Hardwiring. How easy can it get? Complete kit at Eastern Marine is $699 + $30 and change for shipping. Best deal I have found. (Helpful Hint: Buy if from the actual store and not from their storefront on Ebay. Same price, but $10 more shipping on Ebay.)
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

@shunter2005: I took mine to McClain trailers and they did all my install, including welding new coupler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.