Notices

Trailer hub seal help!!!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy Trailer hub seal help!!!

This spring I installed all new brakes on my 2003 Load Rite Aluminum I-beam model - AB32T9000TB2, tandem axle boat trailer. By all new, I mean brand new surge actuator, lines, hubs, rotors, calipers and pads(converted to disc from drum). The hubs came with the bearings and seals installed. The brakes work great. Problem is, all 4 hub seals spew grease. At first I attributed it to putting to much grease(pressure on the seal) with the Buddy Bearings and just cleaned up the mess. But it has happened to many times now. I have to do something. So question is what do I do. I have read a little bit about double lip seals any advice on those? How do I figure out which ones are the correct ones? I kind of assumed Spindle was a standard size based on its weight rating and lug/bolt pattern(6 on 5.5). They are the stock axles from new and are rated are 4860. FYI, I did use some emory cloth on the spindle surface where the seal rides to clean it up when I installed the hubs. Thoughts, Really sucks to have spent the time and money to make everything right and still have this problem....I bought nice new aluminum wheels with new tires to....Grease everywhere help!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

I doubt you did damage with the emery cloth to allow the grease problems that you are describing.
But I do think you will benefit from the "oil bath" seals on the inside. The ones I have bought most recent are branded Timken.

With a little bit of reverse engineering, measuring with calipers, and research on the web, I found the same type of seal (double lip/oil bath) for my GF's vintage camper...
...at Napa.

You may try reaching out to find a Timken distributor:
Locations | The Timken Company
Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Registered

Talking Maybe an answer

So got home pulled one of the hubs off and got the seal number 225255UC which is 2.24" ID. Seems there is another seal that is 2.12" ID same OD. Guess i'll try that and see what happens.

Here is an article or Q&A talking about them...https://www.etrailer.com/question-181977.html

Guess ill try these...https://www.amazon.com/Western-Suppl...NG2XZ3SCG9NW4E
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Those are still not double seal. This is the TYPE that you want:

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-370247...ath+seal+2.125

But you will have to dig and find the right part number.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Would these work for you?
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...GS-2125DL.html
Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to check the seal diameter that goes on the axle. I got new bearings and seals from a trailer company and I brought my old hub down and they still gave me the wrong seals for the axles I have. I only noticed after I had done two of the 4 wheels. They were too big and would not seal on the axle.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://trailerparts.com/triple-lip-grease-seal-2-13-i-d-3-38-o-d-markings-212338uc-2-per-pack

just went through the same thing with leaking seals. Put these in yesterday. Tie down engineering seals.looks feels like a better seal.
The seals I had were gs2125dl these were cheap China like 2.50 a seal. No good.
Good luck

Last edited by MichiMike; 09-10-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info/replies all.

I purchased 4 - 2.125" x 3.376" double lip seals. I took everything apart, cleaned everything up(what a mess), replaced seals and now everything is back together and full of grease. So, with the original seals on the hubs(2.24" ID) there was grease coming out the seal some just from filling the hubs with grease from the Buddy Bearing. None of them have grease coming out yet. Fingers Crossed. I will be going to get the boat off the lift shortly(sadly with its broken drive...a whole other problem). That is a 20 mile round trip. Should know if it really worked after that. Ill update here when I know.

Sorry to disappoint you Brian with wimpy double lips seals not Oil bath, I appreciate your advice and hope you do not get to say "I told you so"....John