St. Johns River Cruise >

St. Johns River Cruise

Notices

St. Johns River Cruise

Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool St. Johns River Cruise

Looks like there is registration info up on the Velocity Owners Group site for an overnight run up to Palatka on the St. Johns April 29-30: http://www.velocitypowerboats.com/20...tionPacket.pdf

Sounds like it should be a fun and relaxing run!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: St. Johns River Cruise

so do i read this right you get 4 breakfests for 225 bucks
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike,

$225 is the entry cost per boat (which includes 4 breakfasts). The hotel is $77 and docking is included so for about $300 you get a well organized overnight cruise (instructions/maps/private Captains meetings) and two great days in unique locations with your fellow Velocity Owners. If you are insinuating that $225 is a lot of money for an event like this please bear in mind there is no outside sponsorship (I wish there was!) and only about 20 boats. Also, please compare this to the cost of a typical overnight, performance boating event.

Feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss. I'm always very open to ideas how to do events better and apparently cheaper.

Rick Engstrom
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Can I ask stupid question......is it open to only Velocity boats. I apologize for my laziness, I bet if I read the flier again it might have said and I just missed it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

so where does the money go then i not insinuating anything just asking as when we the club in charlotte did our run most of the money went to a poker run pay out since there is no poker run what is the money for is it going to a charity i am a velocity owner and i do enjoy doing things with other owners no that is not a lot of money if it is going to some good

Last edited by mikes280; 03-02-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered

Mike,

First thanks for the question as I bet others that haven't attended VOG events may be wondering the same thing.

In Charlotte, you guys are fortunate to have sponsors to cover the fixed costs such as meeting rooms, awards, liability insurance and a host of minor things that add up (I'm currently hiding all the deposits and receipts from my wife!)- or maybe you don't even incur those costs due to local connections? Yes I could probably cut some costs but there's always a balance to maintain between owners that want to go first class and those that want to minimize the out of pocket costs. There's no sponsorship with the Velocity club and unfortunately we don't have 40 boats to distribute the costs against so it costs more for our Velocity only cruise. I hope you can make it because I think you'll find that it was well worth $300 - especially compared to the PRA and FPC events this spring. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Registered

Mneal,

Yes this is exclusively for Velocities. Other owners groups from Baja, Donzi and Outerlimits have similar events on the east coast. As you might expect, the Velocity event is positioned in the middle - not bare bones like Baja but not in Newport, RI like Outerlimits!

Rick
Old 03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

Thanks for the clarification Rick, I assumed as much, typically these clubs are exclusive. Unfortunately we have a less popular boat for this type of cruises (Chris Craft) and although a ton of CC clubs, they are all older wooden boats. Perhaps I will steal some of your info in regards to places to stay/eat etc. and just do a run with my wife. Nice day.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered

You'll have to excuse me coming to the party late but, I've been out of town.

I've seen the e-mail, and read the registration information, and I just don't see a fun-run warranting that kind of fee. I'm not bashing or insinuating anything, but there really isn't a chance for any type of return on investment, like at a poker run.

I'm sure you've heard all about our run, but I don't know where you got your information about sponsors. We had none!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the leg work was done by club members, mostly by phone calls, and all of the extra costs were paid for by the club. We arranged a decent rate at a local hotel and used public launch ramps for the boats. A couple of restaurants let us use their docks, because we ate there as a group.

Velocity was nice enough to bring a bunch of stuff to give away. But the total $100 entry fee was paid back out to the top 5 winners!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a suggestion, but you should at least take a percentage of the entry fees collected and give some back out by raffle tickets, or some other way.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Registered

Just a little clarification...........

My comments were not to gripe about the cost of the run, because we do about 10-12 Poker Runs a year. I was simply questioning why a fun run would cost that much. We do several boating trips, other than poker runs, as a group every year, but there is never a fee and all members and friends are welcome.

Quick Reply: St. Johns River Cruise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.