320 and the dolphin

Notices

320 and the dolphin

Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 320 and the dolphin

Finally, got my 320 back from Leon Derebery, Nothing 5 g's wouldn't fix. Had a few fuel related problems and needed a new starter and a plane pump and on and on. I almost stood her straight up when I started porpising up and down. Tell me how to take off without all the drama. Twin 496 ho's, Bravo one's and 4 blade 30 pitch. Step by step would be nice.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 12-22-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Finally, got my 320 back from Leon Derebery, Nothing 5 g's wouldn't fix. Had a few fuel related problems and needed a new starter and a plane pump and on and on. I almost stood her straight up when I started porpising up and down. Tell me how to take off without all the drama. Twin 496 ho's, Bravo one's and 4 blade 30 pitch. Step by step would be nice.

Don't know that I fully understand the deal here but,,,,,,,,,With the 320/32 you can not bring the boat up on plane without the tabs all the way down and the drives tucked in. At slower speeds you also need a lot of tab, and negative trim, to keep it from porpising, the runing surface is just too short to support the boat. Then as your speed comes up you can begin to bring the tabs up a little, and work some trim in at the same time. Once you are up on the pad you can begin to put the trim right to it, you may need to still drag the tabs a little to control the chine walk. This hull is a real learning curve, likes to run right on it's tail, if you have enough power to keep it there, and you have to learn how to really drive it to keep it balanced when it is on it's pad. Take your time, don't be in a hurry.

Like they say "Excitement (drama!) Comes Standard"

P.S. I owned hull number 1 of the 32 Velocity for eight years, 525 SC's and just a tick under 100 mph.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

I had a donzi with plenty of power and just power thru till she setteled down but it was 28'. This puppy is a real hand full with 496 ho's lack of power. If I had sc 525's she would handle better. I did finally get her up to 80mph on gps yesterday. I'm going to have to learn to be more of a driver with the pad is that what your saying. Shoulda brought my bull rope the first time I took off. Yes excitement is a better word.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 320 is just like a 22 on STEROIDS.When you first start out,run the boat with the drives tucked in and the tabs down.after you bring the boat up on planebring the drives to a neutral posistion and bring the tabs up until the boat is running flat,then slowley run the drives out a little at a time as well as the tabs and when you feel the boat hop up on the pad that is where your sweet spot is and then you go and adjust accordingly ,you will need to drag the tabs almost always until you really get the thing spooled up and then bring the tabs up slowley until it feels loose and then you know that the only thing touching the water is the pad and the lowers of the drives,like I have said in the past out of all yhe Velocitys this is for sure the boat that takes alot of getting used to.Take your time while learning because things can happen quickly.Good luck.I have mine down to a science and it really is a fun boat especially at high speeds
Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Hyper, that sounds easy enough. Now I have the directions and will try them out. When the boat falls off the pad do I have to start all over?