2000 26 Velocity questions >

2000 26 Velocity questions

Notices

2000 26 Velocity questions

Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Sounds familiar, sold one a few years back to some close friends. Yellow gel hull with purple graphics, white top deck. They had some financial problems and the boat was repoed. There were some water issues with that one, was enough water in the transom that it froze and split during winter storage. Put up some pics, or send me a PM, I could go back and look up the serial number. I have seen it out there for sale a few times, but not sure where it is now. The one I am speaking of had a 454 Mag MPI, no tabs and no hyd steering. Damage was on the starboard side at the transom, right on the corner.
The hull number is VMX26065I900 . It did have damage on the hull but Dan doesn't seem to recall it. I would put money on it that it is the same boat. Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Sounds familiar, sold one a few years back to some close friends. Yellow gel hull with purple graphics, white top deck. They had some financial problems and the boat was repoed. There were some water issues with that one, was enough water in the transom that it froze and split during winter storage. Put up some pics, or send me a PM, I could go back and look up the serial number. I have seen it out there for sale a few times, but not sure where it is now. The one I am speaking of had a 454 Mag MPI, no tabs and no hyd steering. Damage was on the starboard side at the transom, right on the corner.
GOT TO BE THE SAME BOAT, NO TABS, NO HYD. STEERING, 454 MPI, AND DEF DAMAGE WHERE DESCRIBED, OUT OF CURIOSITY HOW BAD IS THIS TYPE OF REPAIR, OVER TIME?
SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING THAT COULD BE RECURRING IF NOT COMPLETELY TAKEN CARE OF.....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 007joe
GOT TO BE THE SAME BOAT, NO TABS, NO HYD. STEERING, 454 MPI, AND DEF DAMAGE WHERE DESCRIBED, OUT OF CURIOSITY HOW BAD IS THIS TYPE OF REPAIR, OVER TIME?
SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING THAT COULD BE RECURRING IF NOT COMPLETELY TAKEN CARE OF.....
I am 100 percent sure it is the same boat. I am not scared at all of the repair the part I am scared of is the transom. The owner told me the transom looks good and has not been repaired, next week I will know.

Matt
Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by liberatormatt
The hull number is VMX26065I900 . It did have damage on the hull but Dan doesn't seem to recall it. I would put money on it that it is the same boat. Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

I'll check thru my files and see if I have the info here with me, if not it's only a phone call away. Just give me a day or so.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThruHull
I have never seen a moisture problem first hand and there are 8-10 Velocities in my area from different year models, but after reading about it on here I just keep an eye out for it. If you have any pictures of the boat, some members here on the board might be familiar with it and can add some insight. Hope this helps.
I've owned a Velocity with a wet transom. The problem is all about how the factory sealed (or didn't) the thru-hull fittings. On my '96 26 (280) they didn't seal the bolts that hold on the swim platform. They ran a bead of caulk around the platform but nothing in the bolt holes. We caught it and Velocity repaired the damage and resealed all the thru-hulls out of warranty but it's something that should not have needed to be done.

IMHO it has nothing to do with what years the boat was made. The turn over rate and all of these boat companies is so high that you hardly ever get the same people rigging the boats year in and year out. You just have to take it on belief that it was done right. Personally, if I had ANY boat with a bolt on platform I would remove it, inspect the mounting points and re-install it the proper way. I would also remove, inspect and re-install every thru-hull that didn't show obvious signs of sealant.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-25-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Hey guys this is my boat. I don't get on here very often. I bought it about a year ago from Diamond Marine in CT. It's been a great boat. I do have it for sale because I'd like to get a cat. Diamond marine told me that the right rear repair was a simple "dock rash" incident. I've never heard anything about it being frozen. I'd appreciate any more info.

I'm going to check the transom for moisture and check the areas that the swim platform bolts in.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by boater454; 05-17-2010 at 08:08 AM.