380 k-planes on a 280??? >

380 k-planes on a 280???

Notices

380 k-planes on a 280???

Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 380 k-planes on a 280???

Hi guys. I am thinking about swiching out my 280 plates for a set of the 380's on my 280 Velocity. Has anyone used the longer plates on them before? I figured that alittle more running surface would be a good thing being that at 90mph, my boat is a hand full! Do you think that it will help me or should I save the time and money getting them? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask 1Hyper1, he has made extensions for his planes, you may want to try that. Should be less expensive too.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Ask 1Hyper1, he has made extensions for his planes, you may want to try that. Should be less expensive too.

Actually I had the extensions made when I had the boat. And yes it was far cheaper than buying the new tabs. Real simple deal to have done, any good machine/fab shop should be able to do the job.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Actually I had the extensions made when I had the boat. And yes it was far cheaper than buying the new tabs. Real simple deal to have done, any good machine/fab shop should be able to do the job.
Actually I made new ones for my 320,Sheet Metal Fabricators here in Delaware made them for me and they work really well.As for the 380 planes on a 280,I had them on my 280 and they worked well even though you do not need alot of tab usually on the 280.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
Actually I made new ones for my 320,Sheet Metal Fabricators here in Delaware made them for me and they work really well.As for the 380 planes on a 280,I had them on my 280 and they worked well even though you do not need alot of tab usually on the 280.

So what did you change from the way they were when I had them done?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered

Hey Ragged. Do have any pics. of them after you had them modified? What length would you recommend extending them?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So what did you change from the way they were when I had them done?
1 Inch wider and 4 inches longer and made out of a much lighter material,also re configured the mounting application when I replace the complete transom last year.The 280 is not as sensative to the tabs as the 320 so even if you install the smaller tabs you will see a noticable difference.I will post some pics when I get some for you to see what we did.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
1 Inch wider and 4 inches longer and made out of a much lighter material,also re configured the mounting application when I replace the complete transom last year.The 280 is not as sensative to the tabs as the 320 so even if you install the smaller tabs you will see a noticable difference.I will post some pics when I get some for you to see what we did.

Thanks Hyper. That would be great!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLOWN85
Hey Ragged. Do have any pics. of them after you had them modified? What length would you recommend extending them?

No I do not, you'll need to depend on Hyper for that. I'll be interested to see what he's changed. I had used the larger K plane as a template then made some mods to the shape to be sure they missed the props in all trim locations. Made them out of some real high grade aluminun plate. Don't know how you can get much lighter than that. Had them attached from the bottom with the allen heads countersunk and threaded into the ribs of the original tabs where the most meat was. One of the most important things here is having the tabs set parallel to the water rather than at the angle of the hull. Having them this way helps control the chine walk much better, and makes the boat more stable.

Help this guy out here Bill, get some pics up for him.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOB - Waiting on Bill

Quick Reply: 380 k-planes on a 280???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.