Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Trip to Velocity plant >

Trip to Velocity plant

Notices

Trip to Velocity plant

Old 03-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Joe Krumske

Default Trip to Velocity plant

I am going down to Tampa to look at a 280 (used boat) Monday and thought I may try to get over to the Velocity plant in Sanford to check out the facilities. I'm wondering if anyone has been over there and if it would be worth the trip. My time would be limited but if the trip is worth it, I'd like to do it. Do they give quick tours?

Joe K.

Old 03-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its nothing fancy its worth it to see how the boats are made and talk with some of the people at the plant. I have been there before and enjoyed it. If you are expecting a fancy place, then dont go. They have some used boats around the plant and the shop is just big huge wharehouse not very pretty from the outside. but again I thought it was worth it, to talk to scott mcCormik the gm and ask some questions.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

Default Velocity Plant

Hey i saw your post, I just put a deposit on a 26 Thoroughbred in Ft Lauderdale and am going to pick it up hopefully this month. How far off of 95 is the plant, I would like to stop by with my new ride if it is close to the exit. Can anyone shed some lighht on the subject?
Old 04-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

do a yahoo map its not that far its about 20-30miles outside orlando. Its not that far off the highway I think a couple miles, its worth it too talk to scott and see some of the other boats.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

If you can make it, GO. I have a few pics of the plant on my web site in the construction area. Never, ever give up the chance to visit a boat factory, you'll learn alot about the construction of your boat and you'll see of the right and wrong ways to do things. The most impressive factory is Fountain's but the most impressive for boat construction is Douglas Marine aka Skater. As far as access goes, Steve didn't place any restrictions on me when I was there visiting Velocity. Same goes for Peter at Skater and Jay at Sonic. Lake X is also a very cool place to visit and actually test at, especially is you're into the whole high performance history thing. Read "Iron Fist" before any lake X trip, then just look around and wonder what it was like there in the early days.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

Mr V, thanks for the insight, I have visited Sonic and Avanti and I must say that jay at Sonic was very gracious and accomodating. I look forward to trying to get to the Velocity Plant depending on time restraints, I have been an avid Velocity enthusiast since I bought a 22ft, 6 years ago. I need to email Scott and find out more. Thanks again!!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Registered

I've visited the plant twice. The first time was a waste of time. The second time, Steve Stepp was there and he spent a solid hour with me. He explained the how's and why's of the way my boat was designed and built and some thougths on how to drive the boat. The place isn't much to look at, but it was interesting. You can also poke through the shed with the Velocity clothing and pick out what you want so bring money.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to visit. Let Steve take me for a ride in ours.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have been there. Like others have said its not real fancy, but it was interesting to see where your boat came from.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I was there about 4 years ago,worth the visit,alot better than di$$enyland tripps

Quick Reply: Trip to Velocity plant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.