de lamination? >

de lamination?

Notices

de lamination?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de lamination?

Hello, i found this sight thru google and thought maybe some one could give me some insight. 1 1/2 years ago I bought a 1995 22' velocity. When I first looked at the boat, I noticed these kind of bubble looking things in the deck but it was raining so I thought I was just seeing puddles of water. When I came back to buy the boat they were still there. The owner told me they must have been drops of resin that got spilled when the boat was getting put together. I didn't know any better. This summer my cousin had some friends over and they were checking my boat out. One of his friends said "nice boat, too bad about the de lam tho eh?" He explained to me what it really was. I called the guy that sold me the boat and he just said he didn't know either, thats the way the boat was when he bought it used. I brought it to a fiberglass repair shop and the guy told me it was going to cost just under 4k to fix and that I should call velocity. I called velocity and they told me the boat was too old and they wouldn't fix it. I went back to the fiberglass repair guy and he said it was total BS, he had a customer with a much older powerquest and they stood behind it. What should I do?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Pay for a Survey on every boat before you buy one.
2. If you bought a Dodge p/u and the paint started peeling off the hood and it was 14 years old do you think Dodge would fix it or Chevy or Ford?
3. Sell it and tell them resin dripped on it or something.
4. Bite the bullet and fix it or live with it.
Not trying to be a----- but you didn't do your due dilligence's and it happen's so many times to those that don't. Live and learn. I'm guilty too bought a boat once ran fine on the hose, got it in the water and as soon as you got on plane the engine would die. Have you any photos of the damage?

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 11-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

it was my first boat, I had no idea. A dodge rusting is not a good comparison because according to the guy from the fiberglass repair shop this was something to do with improper curing of the resin or something that they did when they made the boat. He told me this is not a natural thing otherwise boats from the 70's and 80's would all have it. The damage won't show up in pictures, I've already tried to take some.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Get 2 or 3 estimates from people who's work you can check out . I found a good glass guy in MD if you are near by ?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by novelocity
it was my first boat, I had no idea. A dodge rusting is not a good comparison because according to the guy from the fiberglass repair shop this was something to do with improper curing of the resin or something that they did when they made the boat. He told me this is not a natural thing otherwise boats from the 70's and 80's would all have it. The damage won't show up in pictures, I've already tried to take some.
Maybe my comparison was a bit off. If they are that small they won't show up in the photo's and the boat that old, I would try fixing it myself...There is a guy on here called glassdave in the fiberglass and paint section that is very helpfull and loans advice to all of us.. You might ask him what to do to fix it. May not bee all that hard? I PM-ed Dave.

I'll get him to respond over here so we can all see...

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 11-10-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

http://kustompaintedboats.com did work for me and an awesome job too. He's in western mi. That does seem like horse !@#, but i can see their point. The guy you bought it from should have had velocity take care of it as soon as he noticed it. but then again maybe he really didn't know. A friend of mine had an 18' powerplay/quest that had delam on the deck, boat was 13 years old and they fixed it without a fuss at all.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Maybe my comparison was a bit off. If they are that small they won't show up in the photo's and the boat that old, I would try fixing it myself...There is a guy on here called glassdave in the fiberglass and paint section that is very helpfull and loans advice to all of us.. You might ask him what to do to fix it. May not bee all that hard?

I'll get him to respond over here so we can all see...
I thought about that too but some of them are in the stripes on the deck. So I would still have to have the boat painted, although at a much cheaper price than 4k i would think. I'll wait and see what glassdave thinks.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by novelocity
I thought about that too but some of them are in the stripes on the deck. So I would still have to have the boat painted, although at a much cheaper price than 4k i would think. I'll wait and see what glassdave thinks.

4g's holly molly. I would try it myself first, painting a stripe is easy just buy some vinyl graffic and stick it on over the stripe.
Attached Thumbnails de lamination?-9-24-09-again-027-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to the board

Yes i have to agree at this point its out of Velocitys hands. They build a great boat but at that age theres no telling what has happened since new. Can you post some pics or email them to me

[email protected]

I'll take a look and see if i can help ya figure out what the cause of the problem is then hopefully a solution.

If you peel off one of the bubbles what color do you see? raw fiberglass?
Does the boat appear to have been painted or are these in original gelcoat?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Welcome to the board

Yes i have to agree at this point its out of Velocitys hands. They build a great boat but at that age theres no telling what has happened since new. Can you post some pics or email them to me

[email protected]

I'll take a look and see if i can help ya figure out what the cause of the problem is then hopefully a solution.

If you peel off one of the bubbles what color do you see? raw fiberglass?
Does the boat appear to have been painted or are these in original gelcoat?
The bubble is thick, pretty sure it would take a pretty good whack with a hammer to break one open. The reasone I know this is because a wave knocked me on my but last summer while hauling the anchor in and the anchor put a small hole in it. its probably at least 1/8 of an inch of material on top of the air pocket. You just see black in the hole, like the resin is black.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.