Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Windshield or ????? >

Windshield or ?????

Notices

Windshield or ?????

Old 04-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Joe Krumske

Default Windshield or ?????

Just picked up the new boat (WELL, new to me). 1995 26' Velocity. I took her out for the first time this last weekend and I just love it!!!!!!!! It has a 502 (415) and scoots along pretty well. The only thing I want to get right now is a windshield. It has nothing and because I do 99% of my boating on the Great Lakes it gets QUITE chilly and would love something to duck behind when it gets cold. I'm not sure if I want to get the new windshield or stick with the plexy type windshield that has come with the Velocity's in the past. Any one been for a ride with both types??? And what are your thoughts on either??????

Joe Krumske

Old 04-16-2002, 10:50 AM
wilerty

I have a 2000 280 with the optional taller 12" Plexi windscreen and love it. There are some good pictures of the windscreen on my boat in the classified section.

I boat in the Thousand Islands, so I know how it is when it's cold. With the taller windscreen you can tuck down a little so most of the wind goes over your head. You can not drive looking through the windscreen. There would be a huge difference between the cost of a windshield and either plexi windscreen.

When it's warm, the wind in your face is the only way to go ... you just need good sunglasses that work well in the wind.

Good luck with the boat ... you'll love it.

Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 PM
MIKE S

I HAVE 1996 220 WITH A WINDSHIELD. I LIKE THE WINDSHIELD BECAUSE I CAN DUCK BEHIND IT TO GET OUT OF THE WIND OR I CAN SIT ABOVE IT AND STILL GET THE WIND IN MY FACE. I DO A LOT OF BOATING OUT OF MICHIGAN CITY INDIANA ON LAKE MICHIGAN. THE WINDSHIELD HAS KEPT ME WARM PLENTY OF TIMES.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:09 PM
wilerty

I wonder what the height difference is between the 12" windscreen and the windshield? I have not seen any Velocity 280s in my area with a windshield. I prefer the look of the windscreen and it is high enough for me. The shorter windscreen is flat and the 12" windscreen has a curved lip. With the curved lip at the top of the windscreen it deflects almost all of the air over your head.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 12" has a different shape then the lower one. The top of the 12" screen is almost verticle so it really flips the wind over your head. I got the 12 on my 41 although I didn't like the look with it so high. I cut it down so it is now only anout 6" tall, but I cut from the bottom to keep the verticle top. Works great. I ran the boat a few times with no windshield, the boat was 3 mph faster without the 12 but I see no difference with the cutdown. If I can find pics I'll post them.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Joe Krumske

Thanks for the reply's.

I'm thinking right now about going with the 12" wind screen versus the windshield due to the cost difference in the two. I've e-mailed Velocity to get some pricing but have not heard back from them yet.

Mr Velocity. Great idea on having the wind screen cut down. Did you cut the screen down before installing it for the first time? If not, did you have to drill any new holes to mount it (I'm not even familiar with how these mount on the boat?

Joe

Old 04-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

I took delivery of the boat with the windshield installed, you can see pics of it on my web site. When I cut it down I needed to drill new holes in the windshield to re-install it since I didn't want any new holes in the boat. Where the windshield wrapped around the cockpit, it no longer does, I had the holes filled. I also didn't like the look of the smoked plexiglass so I had it shot white with alwgrip to match the boat. I'll see if I can find that pic tonight or I'll pull the cover off and shoot another. It works really well, almost no wind, but then again I ran the boat for a few weeks without a windshield.

Garry
Old 04-17-2002, 07:18 PM
DQUICK

HEY JOE WHAT COLOR IS YOUR BOAT?
I HAVE HAD A 94 280 AND CURENTLY OWN A 2002
280 MY 94 HAD SMALL FLIP UP WINDSCREENS THAT WILL WORK
BETTER THAN THE WINSHIELD AND MUCH CHEEPER

Old 04-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Registered

chilly on the great lakes? you mean its not always 80 deg like it was yesterday I just have the windscreeen also its fine if your sitting , but if standing its a little chilly.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Joe Krumske

DQUICK. The boat is white with teal and purple stripes that sorta flip flop through each other. I'd love to post pics but I have yet to sit down and figure out how to do it.

Velocity 260. 80 deg????? NowTHAT would be SWEET!!!!!!!

Mr. Velocity. I LIKE IT !!! That is one "hell of a boat".

Joe

Quick Reply: Windshield or ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.