Whipple SC Stage 2 Install on Velocity 290SC >

Whipple SC Stage 2 Install on Velocity 290SC

Notices

Whipple SC Stage 2 Install on Velocity 290SC

Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple SC Stage 2 Install on Velocity 290SC

Just completed installation of a Whipple SC Stage 2 on my 2012 Velocity 290SC with HP525 / XR Racing Drive (16.2 hours on motor). This is the Velocity Boat that was in the 2012 Miami Boat Show. Earlier this year on Lake Monroe-Florida Steve S (Velocity)., Ken H. (Velocity) and Chip from Poker Runs America did an evaluation (see at Velocity site) and saw GPS speeds of 85 MPH with a 29" pitch labbed Hydromotive 5 blade prop. We are now easily in the low to mid 90's with 30" pitch labbed 5 blade Hydromotive prop and expect speeds close to 100 when running light / trimmed out. This install is not for the faint hearted -- lots of parts and things to do CORRECTLY. Expect to sink $20,000 in project (if done CORRECTLY) before you are done. If considering this project I would suggest downloading the Installation Instructons PDF from Whipple to get a feel for the magnitude of this undertaking. I have also listed some excellent resources below if you are looking for more information.

The following resources provided valuable service on this project:
JebCo Performance Marine Engines (Jay OSOid = CubicInches)) – SC Installation and extensive engine component rework / SC tuning. ** Hydromotive Engineeering (Todd) – Consulting on correct prop for SC install. ** CP Marine (Mike) – Gauge info and ordering. ** Livorsi Gauges (Fred) – Gauge Info Support / Control Support ** Mercury Racing – Smartcraft Raceview Gauge hook up info. ** Whipple Superchargers (Dustin Whipple) – Provided valuable personalized consulting throughout the project. ** Velocity Powerboats (Ken / Steve) -- Ordered parts (sea strainer / other) – Input on intercooler pickup location. Input on Smartcraft Interface and Mercury Network. ** Jim Raymond Marine Service (Jim OSOid = jray10) – Livorsi control support, drive support, installation of SC gauges for intercooler input pressure and fuel pressure(has to run 50+ pounds). Jim installed the throttle cabling and shift box (had to be installed on stringer because of space constraints created by the SC. Jim did all the computer analysis. Jim used Redline Lubricant to allow the XR Racing Drive to run cooler. ** Fast Forward Fiberglass Repair (Scott and Matt) – Installation of intercooler water pickup, installation of intercooler overboard spent cooling water fixture, preliminary plumbing, sea strainer installation, physical installation of gauges on dash and gel coat repair. ** Everett Performance (Paul) (Zeiger Performance Marine) – General Consultation. ** OSOid = NYSPOWERBOAT (Nolan F.) provided valuable input throughout the entre project and also is working on installation of mirror bottom side of engine hatch.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

How does the boat feel at those speeds? I have a 280 and it likes to chine walk above 80. In quartering seas it can be a handful, certainly freaks my wife out.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

Default Hope This Helps

I am guessing you are probably running your 280 with plus positive trim and tabs above the neutral position to obtain your speeds. The idea of the supercharger is to provide more push so you don't have to run as much positive trim. I was lucky enough to have had a short lesson on driving directly from Steve S. / Kenny H. of Velocity last January. If you choose to run at that much positive trim you can typically steer out of a chine walk with a little practice. Better yet if your near the factory in Sanford stop by to see Kenny or Steve for discussion on this matter.
Playing / lowering your K-Planes when you feel the boat starting to chine walk will help greatly.....
If you choose to control that situation by only reducing power you better hang on.
My 290SC is stable in moderate to rough seas for running light.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! That sounds like a really thorough set-up. Thanks for listing your resources. You'll have to post pics when you get the chance. Of course I am very interested to see how it looks and how it all turns out as I have a similar set-up to what you started with.

One question I have is on the prop: are you using the Hydro P5 or the P5X? I really like my P5X but never tried the P5. The speed you had with just the 525 was quite amazing.

I'm also curious to see if you are going to try an IMCO streamlined lower unit at some point...
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I enjoy watching your boat run in the video - it has a great running attitude. Steve was very pleased with how well it ran in "stock" trim. Which way are you spinning your prop? Best of luck with your SC set up and I hope your drive hangs in there!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

Hydro P5 labbed 30" .... Will post pictures soon .... A very clean install.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

I will probably install the IMCO if I end up having any drive issues. I using Redline lubricant in the drive currentlt to help it run with less friction / heat.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a real nice set up. Enjoy.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Even with a blower you still will trim it to get top speed. You wont trim it as much to run you previous top speed but no mater what you still trim a velocity to run it.
I'm on my 7th velocity. this one will run 100+ with verry little power.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Running flat is where it's at when going super fast IMO . You can trim up for more speed if you don't have enough extra power . I get the whole running on the pad thing has less drag but , at 100mph I like the boat to still handle well and not be on the edge . We don't have a lot of smooth water around here to be skying the nose much anyway .It was rare to find the right conditions to trim it out safely at those speeds . Besides in the rough we see it can trip you into a submarine in a flash . Most of the time in my old 30' was spent in the air

Last edited by notda1; 10-20-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.