Merry Christmas to all my buddies here

Notices

Merry Christmas to all my buddies here

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merry Christmas to all my buddies here

I copied this from last years post to remind all if at all possible to adopt a poor family for Christmas it is rapidly approaching us.

Don’t panic everything’s going to be OK. Shopping can be fun if you do it right. It took me 41 years to figure it out and the past 15 years I know what Christmas is really about for me.

As a kid growing up we didn’t have a lot and made do with what we had. Things like a store bought Christmas tree wasn’t even considered. Dad and I would go out and cut a cedar sapling and drag it house. All us kids would decorate it with little raisin boxes, string popcorn, and maybe a Schlitz beer can wrapped in paper we drew a Santa picture on.

One year, when I was 7 years old. I receive for Christmas a rusty old flywheel from an old ford that Dad drug out of the junk pile. When I asked, “What is it”? Dad said, “It is part of your truck we were going to build later when you’re able to drive.” Man I was on cloud nine! I kept that old flywheel in my closet for years.

As time went by and finances got better we had many fun filled Christmas gifts under our tree but not all Christmas’s were like that.

As many of you like me have been blessed. I never had empty cupboards in my home, always had food on the table, two iceboxes full of food and drinks and a freezer full of beef. Big screen TV’s. My kids always had every need and more from cars to I-Phones. Wife always had diamonds and new car to drive and I always had and bought most anything I wanted and never wondered if I could pay for it. Not to mention a Powerboat!

Now let’s go back 15 years when Christmas started for me. I looked around my home and saw everything that I had. Then I was out driving around in old town just before Christmas and saw a rundown house with some kids playing in front. They were wearing old dirty clothes, skinny as a rail, no shoes on. I snapped suddenly and thought to myself, I wonder what kind of Christmas those kids were going to have?

That year is when I finally figured out what Christmas was all about. I decide at that moment I was going to adopt that poor family for Christmas.

I let my family in on the thought and they all agreed to help me out and go shopping for this family. I left my kids in charge of the toy department. The wife in charge of the clothes department and I was in charge of the food department. I gave each assignment $200.00 for toys, clothes and me for food.

When we got to our home we all helped wrap the toys and clothes and boxed up the groceries. It was Christmas Eve about dusk dark when we drove up to the house to deliver the goods to this home we had never been in or had met anyone there. We walked up the broken cracked sidewalk to the paint peeled house and knocked on the door.

The door opened and a little girl standing in her PJ’s said, let me get Mamma. When Mom came to the door, I introduced myself. I told her we have some things we would like to give you and your kids for Christmas. The Lady invited us in; the first thing I noticed was the home was clean but not much furniture. There was a mattress but no mattress frames I could see through the open bedroom door. Their Christmas tree was a plant of some sort with a few lights on it and a couple of Christmas cards propped up beside it. The children 4 of them were well mannered as small kids could be. They all sat on the floor as we brought inside everything.

The joy on that Mom as tears rolled down her face repeatedly thanking us for everything and watching those kids scream and laugh as they dug into those wrapped gifts. Ripping paper and saying, “look Momma, look Momma was a wonderful experience for me and my family.

So now, every year for the past 15, we take a drive and find a home with small kids that are not as fortunate as us and we adopt them for one day during Christmas. If you have never tried this I would recommend it to you, even if it just a turkey or a ham the joy of giving is a great feeling. It’s one day every year out of my life worth living. Thanks for listing and have a Merry Christmas everyone! Feel free to share your story of giving during Christmas I would like to here them too.
K.C.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

Great story and a very good way to serve others. We have been doing the shoebox gift to other countries, children that never get a gift. Done about 6 boxes ourselves and got friends to do another 6 or so, second thing is our church has a list of those in need and we pick a child to buy a Christmas gift for and have a few relatives do the same.

I'm sure as your family does, if we could see their faces light up, it would be priceless.

Great job, keep up the tradition, its worth the effort. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by r015
Great story and a very good way to serve others. We have been doing the shoebox gift to other countries, children that never get a gift. Done about 6 boxes ourselves and got friends to do another 6 or so, second thing is our church has a list of those in need and we pick a child to buy a Christmas gift for and have a few relatives do the same.

I'm sure as your family does, if we could see their faces light up, it would be priceless.

Great job, keep up the tradition, its worth the effort. MERRY CHRISTMAS
I'm glad to see your helping and you encouraging others to help. It really means a lot to the Kiddo's
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great Story....Special place for people like you.

Going to do blankets for homeless Vets here in Cleveland this year. In memory of my cousin who just passed. He did lots for the homeless Vets.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CIG3
Great Story....Special place for people like you.

Going to do blankets for homeless Vets here in Cleveland this year. In memory of my cousin who just passed. He did lots for the homeless Vets.
Very good, there are so many unfortunate people to choose from all you have to to do is find the ones you would like to help. Thanks for your support to the very important VETS.