Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ???? >

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Notices

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Old 07-31-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, next project.........................DANA TAB FAILURE

Dana Trim Tab Hyd failure. Port side hyd failure, cylinder leaks back up w/in 30 seconds. Thought about putting in a new pump but then thought it maybe the cylinder itself bleeding down. Not wanting to throw needless money at the tabs and was going to install mechanical tab indicators this winter, so that's out the window. Decided to retrofit with new LENCO XDS ball screw cylinders, along with the led position panel at the helm. Tabs are coming off this winter for powder coating so that's when the project will begin. I'll have to make a new billet transom mount as well as an adjustable position mount on the tabs for the new cylinders. I'll design the transom mount to cover all the existing holes from the HYD cylinder mount and try to reuse the Hyd line thru transom hole for the Lenco electrical cable. Don't want to drill any new holes if at all possible.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an observation on the molded fiberglass platform. On many boats if you were to chop the throttle and let the boat settle into the water, you will have a wave hitting the stern and many times coming into the boat. I don't know if they designed it this way or they just got lucky, but when the wave comes from behind, it stays under the platform and splashes rearward out the little opening betweent he platform and the transom. That is nice because you never have to worry about a wave coming over the transom.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Just an observation on the molded fiberglass platform. On many boats if you were to chop the throttle and let the boat settle into the water, you will have a wave hitting the stern and many times coming into the boat. I don't know if they designed it this way or they just got lucky, but when the wave comes from behind, it stays under the platform and splashes rearward out the little opening betweent he platform and the transom. That is nice because you never have to worry about a wave coming over the transom.
I see you point and it makes sense. I'd never chop my throttle in such a manner just for the sake of keeping water from entering the exhaust pipes at such a volume, but in a situation where an emergency stop was required or boating in water conditions that produce large waves, it make total sense.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

TRIM TAB RETRO FIT PROGRESS:

Here's what I'm starting with:

Current base tab mount:

New base tab mount:

The upper mount will be replaced:

Parts started to roll in today:

More to come later as I make progress.......................
Old 08-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Registered

Here's the tab LENCO cylinder brackets:

Progress today, before machine;

After machining;

The pair;

Old 08-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Registered

Change of plans for the lower mounts shown above, decided to just reuse the old DANA TAB mounts and machine to fit my LENCO ACTUATORS.

Here's what I started with, DANA Series LT Hydraulic Tabs shown here and in prior postings:

Who ever put these tabs on gets and "F" in rigging. You never, ever use 3M 5200 for something like this, let along butter the entire back side of the hinge plate with it. As you can see during removal pieces of the Gel Coat came off with the hinge plate even after applying heat to the hinge plate....................3M 5200 is for "LIFE" folks. So after some body work using Marine Tex as a filler, then re-gel'd the effected area, the project continued.

So let the machining begin:[/B][/U]

Top Dana Hyd Cyl Mount before cutting off Hyd fitting:

Transom holes from the removed Dana Top Mount. Didn't want to drill any new holes, just reuse/cover old holes.

Top Cylinder Mounting Adapter Plate and plate shown with water tight cable fitting:

Top mount modified for LENCO ACTUATOR:

Lower Tab Mount machined for LENCO ACTUATOR:

All back from Powder Coating and mounted (dry fit before sealing it all up)

Now it's onto the wiring of the digital indicator control at the helm....................

Last edited by 90profx; 08-24-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nicely done !
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Very nicely done !
Good work. What did you use to reseal? 4200? Your right on the 5200, it will pull the gel all day long. Pulled a outer transom plate with 5200 on it. Was not pretty how the gel came with it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Good work. What did you use to reseal? 4200? Your right on the 5200, it will pull the gel all day long. Pulled a outer transom plate with 5200 on it. Was not pretty how the gel came with it.
I've always been a (proper) 3M user and your correct, 3M 4200 for the reattachment of the hinge plate & screws as well as using #4200 on all joints and holes on the top cylinder mount
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM
Registered

Very nicely done !
Yeah... what he said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.