280 headliner replacement >

280 headliner replacement

Notices

280 headliner replacement

Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 280 headliner replacement

What a P.I.T.A. this project is. I have the cabin gutted, and old headliner material, rotten foam, glue removed. Its bare fiberglass and ready for new material.

the problem I am running into is the length the cabin is 12ft, so I need some material is this 6ft wide, to make it in 2 pieces. It most be out there, since this the way it originally was.

My 02 280 had 2 pieces that ran length wise, with a piece of trim that was the same length (12ft long) . On the current boat (98) the 2 pieces go across.

Any suggestions on where to find 72" wide headliner material, or something else I can use, that is 72" wide?

PS, I now why they charge so much to replace headliners in boats now. Never again.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I would give Kenny at LTB a call. If he doesn't have any....I bet he knows where to buy some.

Padraig
Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would Seadek it and be done with it. they can make any size and shape you want along with different colors.

www.seadek.com

http://www.seadek.com/blog/customer-photos/

Last edited by BUP; 11-19-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Registered

I feel your pain, even though I've never replaced one, it's got to be a nightmare. I'm yank'n my steering cable out and that too has become a P.I.T.A. project. Seems every wire in the boat is Ty-Rap'd to that cable with way too many Ty-Raps used.......:-(
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Registered

hadn't thought about seadek. Wonder how that would look as a headliner?

I think I have decided redo it the new style, with a piece of trim that runs length wise down the center to cover the 2 pieces vs doing it the old way which had a 9" piece of trim across the center. I'm ready to get this project done.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
hadn't thought about seadek. Wonder how that would look as a headliner?

I think I have decided redo it the new style, with a piece of trim that runs length wise down the center to cover the 2 pieces vs doing it the old way which had a 9" piece of trim across the center. I'm ready to get this project done.
That seems to be the method the factory was using. My VR was like that and when they redid my 280 before it sold it had a center piece.

Padraig
Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Registered

Happy Holidays to all. Im starting a 280 complete cabin redo including headliner will be starting new thread this week with pictures as it progresses
Old 11-30-2015, 03:44 AM
Registered

I'm tuned in........
Old 11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Registered

You're a week late Kenny. LOL.

I did finally get the new material glued in. Turned out pretty good. Now I just need to reinstall all the trim pieces, and cushions etc. I think I am going to leave the Storage thingy out on the starboard side, and fabricate a place to set my cooler there. Something like what Nordic does.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

cabin is about 75% back together. It actually looks like a boat again. Been so busy that I havn't had much time to work on it, and finally got a solid 5 hours to work on Saturday. My son, and I got the front half completely done, and got the sliding door back in. All that is left is some trim, and carpet behind the bulk head cup holders, then the closet, and figure out what I am doing with the sink thingy. I'd possibly going to leave it out so I can store the cooler there.

Feels good to be almost done with this project that has taken WAY to long.