rough water? >

rough water?

Notices

rough water?

Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough water?

Hey guys i am about to pull the trigger on a Velocity 280 with a 600hp motor should be fun, however i am worried about the rough water ride, i boat in lake ontario where the waves average 3ft but more often then not are 5+ how is the velocity going to handle this? i have had several fast 90+ mph checkmates, this is my first velocity and im worried how she will do in the big water, also i am stepping down from a 31 imp viper to the 280 velocity is it going to be hugely noticable?
Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

What the 280 has going for it is excellent balance, stout rigging and a deep cockpit that's set up well for rough water. That said it's still only a 26' 8" actual length hull and that's very short for any boat to live in those kind of water conditions assuming we're not talking rolling waves. All boats have limitations. I have no doubt that the Velocity will fair as well as any single engine Checkmate in rough water and indeed I've seen 280's keep pace with the larger Velocities in rough conditions when operated by a skilled driver with lots of seat time. Still his crew and boat took a beating. Of course you'll see a difference moving down from a 4' longer, heavier boat with twice the props in the waters in terms of handling and of course the bigger the water the bigger the difference. I really like my 280 and even though it's an overachiever, I still wouldn't be looking to go out in 3' to 5's with a single Bravo drive boat to have a fun time!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 280, and really like it when the "chop" picks up, and she hops across it. Having said that, I would probably not be going out in 5+ seas. I can dam sure tell you my wife would not. The 280 is a great boat, but at the end of day its still a 26' boat.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dosent it depend on the year of the 280 thinking newer 280s were 26s with a platform.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Dosent it depend on the year of the 280 thinking newer 280s were 26s with a platform.
The previous Velocity 26 model and newer Velocity 280 model share the same 26' 8' hull. The swim platform length was included in the 280 designation. The Velocity 260 is a 24' hull with a swim platform yielding ~ 26'. Same deal with 320.