Transom Soot >

Transom Soot

Notices

Transom Soot

Old 04-25-2016, 04:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom Soot

Looking for advise, information, fixes, magic, miracles etc, etc.......
2003 496 MAG: S/N: OM376502

Went out yesterday for the first time this year and again as last year, the back of the boat was covered in exhaust soot. This stuff is a "B***H" to get off, Acetone seems to be the only way of removal and that just ain't gonna cut it every time out and back on the trailer. Surely there has to be some sort of correction available to fix this problem, heard it was a common problem and that there may have been a recall on it, I don't know that for sure.

Thanks,

Last edited by 90profx; 04-25-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your fuel pressure is between 43-45 with key on motor off. If it low. buy a adjustable regulator. don't go higher either..
Old 04-25-2016, 05:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by class6
Make sure your fuel pressure is between 43-45 with key on motor off. If it low. buy a adjustable regulator. don't go higher either..
Thank you, I'll get a gauge on it this week. I have a bad feeling that this is an on going issue with all 496 motors as the web is loaded with 496 Transom Soot complaints relating to a 555 PCM programming issue. But I'll try anything at this stage.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Registered

Supposedly the whipple tune takes care of it. I had the same issue on my old checkmate with the 496. It definitely gets old.

Last edited by wfo1; 04-25-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wfo1
Supposedly the whipple tune takes care of it. I had the same issue on my old checkmate with the r96. It definitely gets old.
I've already got a email request into Wipple this morning on this very issue as I've read on a few sites that their tune corrects it as you've mentioned, thanks.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

What fuel are you running? With the old 502 mags, running premium made it worse.

On another subject.....How is the new steering set up???

Padraig
Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

The early year 555 tunes were richer vs the latter year cals. This seemed to take care of the majority of transom soot complaints. Merc used to update early 555's to the late calibrations but it had to be initiated by a Merc dealer and not the owner straight to Merc. My stock 06 HO tune left a pretty clean transom compared to the pics people have posted. I added the Whipple Stage 2 tune last spring. When running 93oct, there is some transom soot. When running 89oct, virtually nothing over a weekend of boating. Gunk makes a citrus degreaser in a spray bottle that makes short work of the transom soot. Spray on, wait a few mins, wipe off with a wet sponge. I've also heard that the spray bottle tire and wheel cleaners work great also.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 04-25-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
What fuel are you running? With the old 502 mags, running premium made it worse.

On another subject.....How is the new steering set up???

Padraig
87 Octane
The new hydraulic steering is absolutely great, I couldn't be happier with the SeaStar set up, allot easier on the wallet too than the outside steering setups I've priced out !!!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a thread that discusses issues related to soot and the 496.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...lp-anyway.html
Old 04-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
The early year 555 tunes were richer vs the latter year cals. This seemed to take care of the majority of transom soot complaints. Merc used to update early 555's to the late calibrations but it had to be initiated by a Merc dealer and not the owner straight to Merc. My stock 06 HO tune left a pretty clean transom compared to the pics people have posted. I added the Whipple Stage 2 tune last spring. When running 93oct, there is some transom soot. When running 89oct, virtually nothing over a weekend of boating. Gunk makes a citrus degreaser in a spray bottle that makes short work of the transom soot. Spray on, wait a few mins, wipe off with a wet sponge. I've also heard that the spray bottle tire and wheel cleaners work great also.
Only running 87 Octane. I've got an email off already to Wipple asking about what they can do for my issue.

This soot is a total bit*h to remove, I've tried:
Wheel cleaner
Bug remover
CLR
Acetone
Hull cleaner
Toilet bowl cleaner
Easy Off oven cleaner
Soft Scrub
Then I ran out of stuff on hand to try...........

Soft scrub works the best, but hate to have to do that every time I go out, swin platform is a freak'n total mess, but again Soft Scrub does remove it from that too. I've got a product on order that's recommended by The Boeing Company for cleaning jet engine exhaust soot, if that doesn't work, I'm going to paint the entire transom black......

We'll see what Wipple has for me in a few days.

Thanks for your input.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.