Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Cockpit Covers- Watertight without Pole? >

Cockpit Covers- Watertight without Pole?

Notices

Cockpit Covers- Watertight without Pole?

Old 08-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cockpit Covers- Watertight without Pole?

Hey guys, this is one of those questions I should have asked here before instead of after. I had a custom cockpit cover made for my 320 with the object of keeping the cockpit clean and dry during short time periods (like a weekend) when I don't want to put the full cover on. Canvass guy was confident the cover would be tight enough to keep the rain out and cover looks great when installed. Fast forward a month and the center of the Sunbrella cover has stretched enough to hold 60 gallons or more which of course leads to a wet cockpit. Canvass guy now thinks cockpit is too large and a support pole is needed, little late for that after though duh.

I'm not sure if the 290 has same size cockpit but how about you guys with the 30, 320, 390's- Did you need a support pole on your cockpit covers or were you covers built tight enough so support isn't needed?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I have one support on my 280. I believe the cover came from Velocity. There is no way it wouldn't collect water without it.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

My 290 has two support poles. Not a big thing, the canvas guy just needs to add a snap for the pole.

Padraig
Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Mine has one pole for the cockpit cover. Two for full length cover. I would want at least two poles for a 320 cockpit.

Most will have a reinforced spot on the inside of cover where pole will be snapped in.place.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Mine has one pole for the cockpit cover. Two for full length cover. I would want at least two poles for a 320 cockpit.

Most will have a reinforced spot on the inside of cover where pole will be snapped in.place.
Thanks Ryan, I forgot about the reinforcement. Basically a patch about 4 inches square.

Seeing as he screwed it up, suggest he install the patch and the snaps and you will buy the poles.

Padraig
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback and Padraig that's a great suggestion. I hadn't moved far enough past the "well you said" stage to see the obvious and best solution. ��